Trump knew about Eric Schneiderman allegations since 2013 -- according to new filing in Cohen case
(Photo: stock_photo_world / Shutterstock.com)

President Donald Trump's personal lawyer, Michael Cohen, knew about allegations of sexual misconduct against former New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman for about five years, according to a new court filing.


An attorney submitted a letter Friday in Manhattan federal court explaining that two women had come to him a year apart around 2013 complaining that they had been “sexually victimized” by Schneiderman, reported Bloomberg.

Attorney Peter Gleason advised the women not to report their allegations to Manhattan’s district attorney due to his own previous experience with political corruption cases.

Instead, the attorney said he discussed the women's claims with retired New York Post reporter Stephen Dunleavy, who offered to discuss their allegations with Trump -- who cryptically tweeted about Schneiderman on Sept. 11, 2013 -- and Cohen.

“Mr. Dunleavy did indeed discuss this very matter with Mr. Trump as evidenced by a phone call I received from attorney Michael Cohen,” wrote Gleason, a lawyer in Mahopac, New York. “During my communications with Mr. Cohen I shared with him certain details of Schneiderman’s vile attacks on these two women.”

Gleason also told Cohen about the allegations against Schneiderman, according to the court filing.

The attorney submitted the letter to a judge overseeing the handling of files and records seized last month by the FBI from Cohen's home and office.

Gleason asked for a protective order covering all conversations he had with Cohen about the women's claims against Schneiderman.

Editor's note: A previous version of this article inaccurately reported that Gleason was Cohen's attorney.