A federal judge on Friday will consider imposing tougher rules on the U.S. government to ensure it reunites as many as 2,000 immigrant children with their parents by July 26.
In a lawsuit brought by the American Civil Liberties Union, U.S. Judge Dana Sabraw in San Diego ordered the government in June to reunite families that had been separated after crossing the U.S.-Mexican border. The government failed to meet a Tuesday deadline for reuniting an initial group of children under 5.
About 46 of the 103 children remain separated because of safety concerns, the deportation of their parents and other issues, according to court documents.
The government has said its efforts to reunite families were slowed by the need to conduct DNA testing and criminal background checks on parents and determine if they would provide a safe environment for the child.
That has raised questions how the government will manage with the vastly larger number of children it still must reunite, a task the judge has called a “significant undertaking.”
Late Thursday, the American Civil Liberties Union, which filed the lawsuit that led to Sabraw’s order, said it wanted the judge to impose timelines on the government for background checks and to share information sooner in the process.
The rights group said that a lack of information about where and when reunions would happen had led to potential dangers for families. In one case, the ACLU said, immigration officials reunited a mother with her 6-month-old daughter then dropped them alone at bus stop late at night.
Sabraw will consider imposing those requirements on the government at a hearing on Friday at 1 p.m. PDT (2000 GMT) in San Diego.
The government adopted its family separation policy as part of a broader effort to discourage illegal immigration earlier this year. The Trump administration buckled to intense political pressure and abandoned the policy in June.
Reporting by Tom Hals; Editing by Lisa Shumaker
Longtime Susan Collins voters say they’ll ‘never vote’ for the GOP senator again — thanks to Trump
Sen. Susan Collins (R-ME) has regularly cruised to reelection in her state by working as a bipartisan consensus builder.
Collins' image as a moderate Republican has taken a massive hit during President Donald Trump's first term, however, and some longtime Collins voters tell Bloomberg that they are absolutely finished with her and will vote her out in 2020.
72-year-old Donna Sawyer, a longtime Collins voter from Limington, tells Bloomberg that Collins' vote for Supreme Court justice Brett Kavanaugh was what finally pushed her over the edge.
WATCH: Black postal worker stays remarkably calm as furious white man has a racist meltdown
A racist man could potentially face federal charges for his profanity-laced tirade against a black postal worker.
The older white man became impatient while the U.S. Postal Service worker answered a phone call at the counter of the post office at Trinity Mills and the Tollway in North Dallas, reported WBAP-TV.
The incident was captured on cell phone video and uploaded to Facebook, where the man can be seen arguing with other customers and then turning his anger back on the postal worker.
‘Was Goebbels Unavailable?’:ABC blasted for ‘normalizing Fascism’ by putting Sean Spicer on ‘Dancing With the Stars’
“Remember when Spicer talked about ‘Holocaust centers’ and defended Hitler, saying he didn’t use chemical weapons?”
Disney and ABC Television must have known that putting former Trump press secretary Sean Spicer on “Dancing With the Stars” would draw condemnation, but the outrage over the just-announced news is palpable.
Spicer will go down in history for the massive lies he told, starting with his vicious and attacking falsehoods about the size of the crowd at President Donald Trump’s inauguration. The lies seemed to continue daily, only to be outdone by, at one point, Spicer actually appearing to defend Hitler for not gassing his people – which he clearly did.