Obama rips GOP over NYT op-ed: Senior officials blocking ’10 percent’ of Trump’s craziness is no comfort

On Friday, former President Barack Obama gave a stirring speech in which he rebuked the chaos of President Donald Trump's administration.


Among the many failings of Trump and Republicans, Obama cited the anonymous op-ed, penned by an administration official to assure the American people that White House aides were presenting their own resistance to the president by blunting his more extreme actions and ideas.

'The claim that everything will turn out okay because there are people inside the White House who secretly aren't following the president's orders, that is not a check," Obama said. "I'm being serious here. That's not how our democracy is supposed to work. These people aren't elected. They're not accountable."

"They're not doing us a service by actively promoting 90% of the crazy stuff coming out of this White House. Then saying don't worry, we're preventing the other 10%. That's not how things are supposed to work," he said. "This is not normal. These are extraordinary times. And they're dangerous times. But here's the good news. In two months, we have the chance, not the certainty but the chance, to restore some semblance of sanity to our politics."