Trump caves after backlash and will now allow FBI to interview anyone in Kavanaugh investigation
Donald Trump during CNN debate (Photo: Screen capture via video)

After a backlash from Democrats, President Donald Trump on Monday removed interview limits from an investigation into Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh.


According to The New York Times, the president on Monday afternoon told the bureau that it could interview anyone while conducting the week-long investigation into sexual assault allegations against Kavanaugh. The White House had initially limited the investigation to four witnesses.

The Times reported:

The new directive came in the past 24 hours after a backlash from Democrats, who criticized the White House for limiting the scope of the bureau’s investigation into President Trump’s nominee for the Supreme Court. The F.B.I. has already completed interviews with the four witnesses its agents were originally asked to talk to, the people said.

Earlier in the afternoon, senior Republicans said that they expected the investigation to be completed by Tuesday, which will not be possible if the FBI expands its witness list.