Kellyanne Conway apparently learned on live TV that the White House planned to reinstate a ban on CNN’s Jim Acosta
The White House sent a letter to the reporter Monday that suggested his press pass would again be suspended when a temporary restraining order expires after 14 days, and Fox News anchor Bill Hemmer broke the news to Conway during a live interview.
“Is that reporter allowed back in the White House?” Hemmer said. “I was given a note an hour ago the White House made a preliminary decision to suspend the hard pass for Jim Acosta again. Are you fighting this?”
Conway’s eyebrows raised, and she said she had not heard that development.
“I’m not aware of anything happening in the last hour,” Conway said from the White House lawn. “I would have to talk to the press shop about that. Obviously it was reinstated. He came here.”
Hemmer asked whether Acosta, whose access was at least temporarily reinstated Friday by a federal judge, would be allowed at the White House on Monday.
“I don’t know that answer,” Conway said. “I’ve got somebody from the press shop standing here. I don’t know that answer, but I want to broaden the conversation out to the White House press corps and freedom of the press. The president is right nobody likes the First Amendment more than he does. He sends us out here to talk about that and I’m on TV almost every day trying to talk about policy.”
“Look at last week,” she continued. “All the coverage, Bill, was about who works here, not the work that is done by the people who work here. Are we not interested in policy and in what goes on here and the many different things that happen through the cabinet rather than who is in the Cabinet or who’s up and who’s down? I guess eventually everybody will be, right? Everybody will leave at some point, including the president six years from now.”
“Isn’t there the least bit of shame that the headlines and the Twitter explodes about palace intrigue?” she added. “It’s really silly.”