A Pennsylvania family confronted a pair of teenage boys trick-or-treating in blackface costumes and wearing Confederate flag capes.
Esperanza Menendez, 17, was taking part in Halloween festivities Wednesday in Lower Macungie Township with her sisters, ages 10 and 18, when they encountered the pair — and they couldn’t believe what they saw, reported Lehigh Valley Live.
“I turn around and my stomach drops because I see these two ignorant kids in blackface right in front of me,” Menendez told the newspaper.
“I was so enraged when I saw these kids, I never thought I’d see something like that in person honestly,” she said. “The fact they walked around … dressed like that and they had a bag full of candy and no one said anything, it just makes me so angry.”
She confronted the boys and swore at them, and they smiled and insisted, “It ain’t racist.”
Menendez, who said she didn’t recognize the boys, said she tried not to let them intimidate her.
“I feel like in today’s day you can’t show fear like that to people who think that stuff is okay,” she said. “You need to let them know what’s up or they’re going to keep walking thinking they’re superior and they can just do anything.”
She sent the video to her father, who was at home handing out candy, and he said his daughters came home soon afterward.
“It kind of ruined the night for everybody,” Rafael Menendez said. “My 10-year-old was a little confused and we had to talk to her. She was a little scared. We aren’t plastered to the news, but we want to make sure they are aware of it.”
The father said he was troubled by the incident, and he faulted other adults for remaining silent.
“I have been down that block (on Halloween) and there’s always tons of parents around,” he said. “Everybody was looking, but nobody was saying anything.”
Alabama Republican: ‘I want to see more people’ get coronavirus
On Thursday, Alabama Senate President Pro Tempore Del Marsh suggested that he wanted more people to get coronavirus — because he thinks America would develop "herd immunity" and reduce the spread enough to protect more vulnerable populations.
"I'm not as concerned so much as the number of cases. In fact, quite honestly, I want to see more people, because we start reaching an immunity the more people have it and get through it," said Marsh. "I don't want any deaths, as few as possible, say, I get it, but those people who are susceptible to the disease, especially more serious pre-existing conditions, elderly population, those folks, we need to, you know, do all we can to protect them. But I'm not concerned, I want to make sure that everybody can receive care."
The Secretary of Defense was briefed on Russian bounty on American soldiers — proving it isn’t the hoax Trump said it was
Last week, President Donald Trump finally heard the news that the Russian government was giving cash to Afghanistan's Taliban forces to murder American soldiers.
Initially, he began with Step one in the Trump list of processing a scandal: denial.
"Nobody briefed or told me, @VP Pence, or Chief of Staff @MarkMeadows about the so-called attacks on our troops in Afghanistan by Russians, as reported through an "anonymous source" by the Fake News @nytimes. Everybody is denying it & there have not been many attacks on us. Nobody's been tougher on Russia than the Trump Administration. With Corrupt Joe Biden & Obama, Russia had a field day, taking over important parts of Ukraine - Where's Hunter? Probably just another phony Times hit job, just like their failed Russia Hoax. Who is their 'source'?" tweeted Trump on June 28.
Here’s why Trump contradicted his own White House on the Supreme Court rulings
Following the Supreme Court's pair of 7-2 decisions rejecting President Donald Trump's claim to have absolute immunity from subpoenas, he blasted the ruling on Twitter, claiming he being unfairly targeted and the victim of "prosecutorial misconduct." However, White House Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany released a statement saying that "President Trump is gratified by today’s decision."