MSNBC’s Joe Scarborough explained that President Donald Trump has never stepped away from his business interests because making money was the only reason he ran for office in the first place.
The “Morning Joe” host said the intermingling of foreign money — such as Saudi payments to Trump’s hotel in Washington, D.C. — and presidential duties were “Blowing a hole in the emoluments clause” in the U.S. Constitution, but also came as no surprise.
“The president of the United States ran for president not thinking he would win, not thinking he would get the Republican nomination, not thinking if he got it he would then become president,” said MSNBC analyst John Heilemann.
Heilemann said the presidential campaign was a “money-making operation,” and Scarborough suggested it was “brand enhancement” — but now Trump and his associates are under criminal investigation.
“The guy spent the previous decade with his friend Michael Cohen running around the world trying to do what he’d done in the United States, which was use the Trump name to make more money,” Heilemann said. “This was a great opportunity to increase not just his profile, but his international profile and to use this as an opportunity after he presumably lost either as the nominee or in the general election.”
Instead, Trump won the GOP nomination and then the White House, where he has used his position to promote his family business.
“He went into the White House thinking, ‘Well, I’m not going to — I got into this for the money, I’m not going to abandon that primary objective,'” Heilemann said. “So he has used the White House in ways that we are now seeing, people have been talking about for a year and a half, he’s using the White House to make money while being president and to try to enhance his opportunities for making money after being the president.”
Scarborough said that’s why Trump was so shocked that he had won the 2016 election.
“There’s a reason why the night Donald Trump got elected he looked like he had been, like, jabbed by a cattle prod,” Scarborough said. “Melania was crying, Mike Pence’s wife was angry, and the scene looked like something more out of a wake than a hotel room. They didn’t expect it — they didn’t want it.”
Trump alerts ‘active-duty U.S. military police’ for possible deployment to Minnesota: report
President Donald Trump's administration is contemplating using active-duty U.S. troops in an attempt to quell the protests in Minneapolis, the Associated Press reported early Saturday morning.
As unrest spread across dozens of American cities on Friday, the Pentagon took the rare step of ordering the Army to put several active-duty U.S. military police units on the ready to deploy to Minneapolis, where the police killing of George Floyd sparked the widespread protests," the AP reported.
"Soldiers from Fort Bragg in North Carolina and Fort Drum in New York have been ordered to be ready to deploy within four hours if called, according to three people with direct knowledge of the orders. Soldiers in Fort Carson, in Colorado, and Fort Riley in Kansas have been told to be ready within 24 hours. The people did not want their names used because they were not authorized to discuss the preparations," the AP explained.
John Roberts joins liberals as Supreme Court rejects challenge to Newsom’s COVID-19 limits on California church attendance
In a 5-4 ruling, the Supreme Court on Friday rejected an emergency appeal from the South Bay United Pentecostal Church in Chula Vista, California. The San Diego area church tried to challenge the state's limits on attendance at worship services:
The church argued that limits on how many people can attend their services violate constitutional guarantees of religious freedom and had been seeking an order in time for services on Sunday. The church said it has crowds of 200 to 300 people for its services.