U.S. Rep. Steve King (R-IA) is being mocked on social media after he berated the CEO of Google for the behavior of a “hand-me-down” iPhone his grandchild was using.
“I have a 7-year old granddaughter who picked up her phone during the election, and she’s playing a little game, the kind of game a kid would play,” King told Google CEO Sundar Pichai at Tuesday’s House Judiciary Committee hearing.
“And up on there pops a picture of her grandfather,” the Congressman King complains, presumably referring to himself. “And I’m not going to say into the record what kind of language was used around that picture of her grandfather, but I’d ask you: How does that show up on a 7-year old’s iPhone, who’s playing a kid’s game?”
Pichai offered the most polite response he could muster.
“Congressman, the iPhone is made by a different company. And so, you know, I mean,” the Google CEO said.
iPhones are made by Apple.
Rep. King, a far right wing anti-LGBT, anti-immigrant, anti-Muslim, white nationalist extremist, was undeterred.
“It might have been an Android,” he offered, not actually knowing for sure. “It’s just, it was a hand-me-down of some kind,” he added, as if iPhones were children’s clothing.
— Aaron Rupar (@atrupar) December 11, 2018
Here’s what some on social media had to say in response to King’s astonishing ignorance:
“It was a hand-me-down of some kind…”
So, some adult upgraded to a new phone and they gave this one to a kid. They didn’t do a factory reset, didn’t clean up the platform. Just put some kid apps on it and handed it over.
And that’s somehow the tech guy’s fault.
— Stonekettle (@Stonekettle) December 11, 2018
Sundar Pichai has sidestepped a ton of questions, but I’ll give him one thing: he has the patience of a saint right now. Rep. Steve King asks Pichai a question about his granddaughter’s iPhone. Pichai says Google doesn’t make iPhones. King: “It could have been an Android.”
— issie lapowsky (@issielapowsky) December 11, 2018
— Tuxedo Mask (@TheLoveBel0w) December 11, 2018
What I’d like to ask @SteveKingIA about his stupid iPhone question today:
“How does a racist, incompetent moron like Steve King, get elected and have governing power?”
— Zachary Miller (@zachmiller) December 11, 2018
I’m curious which iPhone game comes with “Steve King is a neo-Nazi” pop-ups
— John Hendel (@Hendyhendel) December 11, 2018
@SteveKingIA just doesn’t like that iPhone because it’s black.
— brad vachal (@bradvachal) December 11, 2018
steve king is mad that even iphone games for kids say he’s a racist https://t.co/RKec7qCq3K
— Brendan Karet 🚮 (@bad_takes) December 11, 2018
Klansman Steve is an idiot and why does a 7 yo have an iPhone?
— Her Royal Fierceness 👑😚 (@TheFierceDiva1) December 11, 2018
One possible way to prevent your granddaughter from seeing her granddad described as a racist white nationalist or “Nazi” would be to not give a 7 year old her own iphone OR––and this is hardly even worth mentioning––for her granddad not to be one.
— Jared Lipof (@jaredlipof) December 11, 2018
Seeing racist old fart @SteveKingIA fumble around with his iPhone while asking questions about Google should be a strong reminder: our elected officials are dumb as shit. No idea how anything works They only know what lobbyists tell them.
— The Talking ALF Podcast (@TalkingALF) December 11, 2018
New testimony adds 2 stunning — and previously unknown — details about the Ukraine extortion
New testimony released Monday from the House Intelligence Committee’s investigation of the Ukraine scandal included at least two new stunning details about the quid pro quo scheme at the heart of the matter.
Overall, the transcripts for depositions of Catherine Croft and Christopher Anderson, who were advisers to U.S. envoy Kurt Volker, built on the story of that we already know: that President Donald Trump pushed a shadow foreign policy to pressure Ukraine into investigating his political opponents, a scheme that involved using his office and military aid as leverage over the country in opposition to the official policy.
Trump blasted for his ‘Endorsement of Doom’ after Sean Spicer loses on ‘Dancing with the Stars’
Team Trump had gone all in urging supporters to vote for former White House press secretary Sean Spicer on the game show "Dancing with the Stars."
Votes had been urged by RNC officials and Trump himself had urged his 66 million Twitter followers to vote for Spicer.
Despite the full heft of the Trump campaign, Spicer lost on Monday's show.
Trump deleted his failed tweet urging votes for Spicer -- and instead said it was a "great try" by his former advisor.
Looks like this endorsement was as successful as your last one!
‘He’s misunderstood’: Nikki Haley tells Fox News how Trump is actually a really good listener
Former Ambassador to the U.N. Nikki Haley defended President Donald Trump during a Monday appearance with Fox News personality Sean Hannity.
Hannity asked the former South Carolina governor if Trump was "misunderstood."
"I do think he’s misunderstood," Haley replied.
"I can tell you, from the first day to the last day that I worked for the president, he always listened, he was always conscious of hearing other voices, allowing people to debate out the issues, and then he made his decision," Haley claimed.
She argued that, "I saw a president that was very thoughtful, looked at all of the issues, made decisions, and it was a pleasure and honor to work with him."