Quantcast
Connect with us

Mueller wants more answers from Trump — and that’s bad news for the president

Published

on

Special Counsel Robert Mueller wanted to have a sit-down interview with President Donald Trump to ask follow-up questions to his written responses on a series of topics related to the Russia investigation that he completed in November, but the president’s team refused the request in recent weeks, according a new report from CNN.

The Trump team has sought to severely restrict the extent of the questions Trump will answer, declaring any inquiries about the president’s actions in office to be off-limits.

ADVERTISEMENT

Trump has previously said that he would testify under oath in Mueller’s Russia investigation, but he has since abandoned that pledge. Though the president’s legal team has gone back and forth about whether Trump would speak directly with Mueller, his most prominent lawyer, Rudy Giuliani, recently said that an interview would only happen “over my dead body.”

So what does it mean that Mueller still wants to interview Trump? According to one source cited by CNN, “Mueller is not satisfied.”

Multiple reports suggest that the special counsel’s investigation may be preparing to wrap up soon — though no one knows for sure. It may be that Mueller doesn’t think he can end the probe responsibly without actually interviewing the president in person, to judge his responses and ask for additional details. He may yet still attempt to subpoena the president’s testimony. Legal experts believe he would likely win that fight, but it could drag on and go up to the Supreme Court.

It could also be that Trump’s initial answers to Mueller’s first round of written questions raised more issues that Mueller wants to probe further. Alternatively, Trump’s answers, almost certainly crafted by his own legal team despite his claims to the contrary, could be so evasive that they provide little help to Mueller in his probe.

ADVERTISEMENT


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Rudy Giuliani admits ‘Fraud Guarantee’ paid him $500,000 to work for indicted associate

Published

on

Rudy Giuliani admitted being paid a half a million dollars by an associate currently being held in federal custody, Reuters reported Monday.

"President Donald Trump’s personal attorney, Rudy Giuliani, was paid $500,000 for work he did for a company co-founded by the Ukrainian-American businessman arrested last week on campaign finance charges, Giuliani told Reuters on Monday. The businessman, Lev Parnas, is a close associate of Giuliani and was involved in his effort to investigate Trump’s political rival, former Vice President Joe Biden, who is a leading contender for the 2020 Democratic Party nomination," Reuters reported.

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

John Bolton ripped Rudy Giuliani as a drug dealer and ‘hand grenade’: report

Published

on

Then-National Security Advisor John Bolton was reportedly shocked by the shadow foreign policy being conducted by Rudy Giuliani, a top former National Security Council official testified to Congress on Monday, The New York Times reports.

"The effort to pressure Ukraine for political help provoked a heated confrontation inside the White House last summer that so alarmed John R. Bolton, then the national security adviser, that he told an aide to alert White House lawyers, House investigators were told on Monday," the newspaper reported. "Mr. Bolton got into a sharp exchange on July 10 with Gordon D. Sondland, the Trump donor turned ambassador to the European Union, who was working with Rudolph W. Giuliani, the president’s personal lawyer, to press Ukraine to investigate Democrats, according to testimony provided to the investigators."

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

‘Vladimir Putin has something on Donald Trump’: Ambassador Sherman says the Kremlin must have kompromat

Published

on

Former Deputy Secretary of State Wendy Sherman concluded on Monday that Russian Federation President Vladimir Putin must have "something" on President Donald Trump.

"The latest reporting from The New York Times indicates that the thousands of troops that we have there, that the president moved, are now trapped. They don’t have an actual way out since Turkey has cut off the roads and the exit routes that they might use and so now there is the question of will there be an airlift? How will we get the U.S. troops out?" MSNBC's Lawrence O'Donnell asked.

"We haven’t had to get troops out like this since the fall of Saigon," Sherman replied. "This is going to be very, very difficult."

Continue Reading
 
 
Help Raw Story Uncover Injustice. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1 and go ad-free.
close-image