Quantcast
Connect with us

USA Today op-ed lays out damning evidence that Trump attempted Russia collusion in plain sight

Published

on

Donald Trump speaking on July 27, 2016 (ABC News)

President Donald Trump committed a campaign violation and attempted Russia collusion in plan sight, according to a pair of legal experts.

The president’s longtime attorney, Michael Cohen, implicated Trump in a conspiracy when he pleaded guilty violate campaign finance law, but ethics watchdogs Fred Wertheimer and Norm Eisen published an op-ed in USA Today pointing to an even more obvious crime.

ADVERTISEMENT

Trump infamously called on Russia to find Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton’s missing emails during a July 27, 2016, speech after media reports showed U.S. intelligence agencies blamed the Kremlin for hacking the Democratic National Committee.

Wertheimer and Eisen said this plainly violated federal law.

“Federal campaign finance law prohibits any person from soliciting campaign contributions, defined as anything of value to be given to influence an election, from a foreign national, including a foreign government,” they wrote.

Wertheimer, founder and president of Democracy 21, and Eisen, chairman of Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics, said the law prohibits solicitation and does not matter whether anything is actually delivered in return.

“But in this case, on or around the same day that Trump solicited help from Russia, Russia made its first attempt to break into servers that Hillary Clinton’s personal office used,” they wrote. “That event is laid out in detail in an indictment of Russian hackers obtained by special counsel Robert Mueller.”

ADVERTISEMENT

The pair also said Trump — who has given sworn affidavits claiming deep understanding of campaign finance law — had been warned shortly before that infamous “Russia, if you’re listening” speech that seeking support from foreign interests was illegal.

They know because one of them warned him.

“On June 29 and July 22, 2016, watchdog groups (including one led by one of the authors) filed complaints with the Federal Election Commission and the Justice Department, respectively, against Trump’s presidential campaign committee for illegally soliciting financial support from parliamentarians in countries around the world, including Iceland, Scotland, Australia and Great Britain,” they wrote.

“Multiple news organizations had reported that Trump’s campaign was violating the ban on foreign solicitations by emailing fundraising solicitations to foreign nationals,” Wertheimer and Eisen added.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Trump campaign never responded to media requests for comment on that FEC complaint, but Wertheimer and Eisen said that political organization should be held accountable — along with the president.

“Even though Justice is unlikely to change its mind on charging Trump, next best options are available,” they wrote. “The Trump campaign is legally responsible under principles of vicarious liability for the statements of its head, and so could be indicted. The Russia solicitation could be included in an indictment featuring other counts, such as charging the campaign and the Trump Organization for the separate alleged hush money violations described by Cohen.”

ADVERTISEMENT

They said the president and his associates remained in legal jeopardy, despite his power and authority.

“No Justice Department policy prohibits prosecutors from naming the president as an unindicted co-conspirator in such an indictment,” they wrote. “And with a five-year statute of limitations, he could still be prosecuted for these alleged knowing and willful 2016 offenses should he fail to seek or secure re-election in 2020.”

ADVERTISEMENT


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

‘Whiny orange baby’ Trump mocked for his panicked threat to scoop CBS on his own interview meltdown

Published

on

On Tuesday, following reports that President Donald Trump stormed out of a "60 Minutes" interview with Lesley Stahl for an unknown reason, the president tweeted that he is considering releasing footage ahead of CBS, to prevent reporters from spinning the "FAKE and BIASED" interview.

Commenters on social media laughed at the president for telegraphing his apparent fear over the content of the exchange.

Lay off the drugs man.

Continue Reading

2020 Election

Kayleigh McEnany ridiculed for Leslie Stahl stunt: ‘You people are so bad at this’

Published

on

White House Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany shared a tweet Tuesday with an image of her handing Lesley Stahl a book on President Donald J. Trump's accomplishments on health care. Kayleigh wrote, "She couldn't believe how HUGE it was and said, 'I can hardly lift this!!"

The reactions on social media rolled in from there.

https://twitter.com/PressSec/status/1318670969653858305?s=20

Is this English? pic.twitter.com/q6i7Ifjy5l

— NostraDonny (@Nostradonny) October 20, 2020

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Trump threatens to post ‘60 Minutes’ video before CBS in panic over how how badly his interview went

Published

on

On Tuesday, President Donald Trump tweeted that he is "considering" releasing footage from his "60 Minutes" interview with Lesley Stahl ahead of its broadcast time, "for the sake of accuracy in reporting."

I am pleased to inform you that, for the sake of accuracy in reporting, I am considering posting my interview with Lesley Stahl of 60 Minutes, PRIOR TO AIRTIME! This will be done so that everybody can get a glimpse of what a FAKE and BIASED interview is all about...

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 20, 2020

Continue Reading
 
 
Democracy is in peril. Invest in progressive news. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free. LEARN MORE