Quantcast
Connect with us

Facebook and Twitter urged to suspend Trump accounts following attack on Ilhan Omar

Published

on

Supporters of Rep. Ilhan Omar are urging Facebook and Twitter to suspend President Donald Trump’s accounts after the president posted a video attacking the Minnesota Democrat.

“We don’t have to give hate a platform,” a new petition states.

Launched Saturday by the Women’s March, it accuses the president of “inciting violence and engaging in hate speech” through the “propaganda video targeting Congresswoman Omar” he posted Friday which uses an out-of-context phrase Omar said in reference to 9/11.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Women’s March called it “a despicable and irresponsible attack” that “is as dangerous as it is unprecedented.”

The petition calls on Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg and Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey to “do the right thing” and “[s]uspend him from Twitter and Facebook for inciting violence and engaging in hate speech. Remove his propaganda video targeting Congresswoman Omar.”

In an email to supporters on Sunday, CODEPINK said it wanted to “echo” their call: “Don’t give hate a platform.”

ADVERTISEMENT

The women-led group also denounced the video, calling it “a dangerous incitement [that] puts Rep. Omar’s life in danger.”

“If Twitter and Facebook allow the video and Trump’s racist incitement to remain on social media,” the group wrote, “they will be responsible, too.”

ADVERTISEMENT

The video, as well as the attacks last week by Republicans and right-wing media, prompted many to reiterate: #IStandWithIlhanOmar.

ADVERTISEMENT

Acknowledging that support, Omar said in a tweet on Saturday, “Thank you for standing with me—against an administration that ran on banning Muslims from this country—to fight for the America we all deserve.”

She also vowed to “stand undeterred to continue fighting for equal opportunity in our pursuit of happiness for all Americans.”

Democratic leadership, meanwhile, is also facing heat in the aftermath of the video.

ADVERTISEMENT

Speaker Nancy Pelosi is under fire for issuing “cowardly” statement that, as analyst Juan Cole wrote, “was so anodyne that Pelosi didn’t even mention Omar’s name.”

Responding to that failure of leadership, Rep. Rashida Tlaib (D-Minn.) said: “They put us in photos when they want to show our party is diverse. However, when we ask to be at the table, or speak up about issues that impact who we are, what we fight for & why we ran in the first place, we are ignored. To truly honor our diversity is to never silence us.”

The White House, for its part, doubled down on its attack on Omar Sunday.

In an interivew with ABC News, White House presss secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said, “it’s a good thing that the president is calling [Omar] out.”

ADVERTISEMENT


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Trump is already making up conspiracy theories about voter fraud — and it’ll only get worse

Published

on

The election is eight months away, but President Donald Trump is already crying foul.

Bloomberg News wrote Sunday that Trump is already working to undermine the American electoral process by attacking the Democratic presidential primary.

"Indeed, his campaign, with the full support of the Republican Party, is already waging a vigorous crusade to destroy his opposition. No, it's not Joe Biden, who inspired Trump's shakedown of Ukraine. Trump's gunning for bigger game: democracy itself," wrote Francis Wilkinson for Bloomberg.

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

READ IT: More than 1,100 former US Department of Justice officials tell Bill Barr to resign now

Published

on

More than 1,100 former US Department of Justice officials called on Attorney General William P. Barr on Sunday to step down after he intervened last week to lower the Justice Department’s sentencing recommendation for President Trump’s longtime friend and political crony Roger J. Stone Jr.

“It is unheard of for the Department’s top leaders to overrule line prosecutors, who are following established policies, in order to give preferential treatment to a close associate of the President, as Attorney General Barr did in the Stone case,” wrote the former Justice Department attorneys in their Sunday letter. “It is even more outrageous for the Attorney General to intervene as he did here — after the President publicly condemned the sentencing recommendation that line prosecutors had already filed in court.”

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Trump campaign forced to delete #Daytona500 Air Force One photo because it was from 15 years ago

Published

on

Air Force One in flight.

Another oops moment happened for President Donald Trump's campaign manager stole George W. Bush's photo from the Daytona 500 in 2004.

Tweeting Sunday, Brad Parscale proclaimed, "[email protected] won the #Daytona500 before the race even started."

Except, it wasn't him. As many people pointed out, the image was from 16 years ago by photographer Jonathan Ferrey, CNN reported. Parscale was forced to delete it and tweet it out again with an underwhelming photo.

Continue Reading
 
 
close-image