Quantcast
Connect with us

China digs in for protracted trade fight with US

Published

on

China is digging in for a tough period of deteriorating ties with the United States, fanning the flames of patriotism with Korean War films, a viral song on the trade war, and editorials lambasting Washington.

The trade spat has turned into a war of words since President Donald Trump blacklisted Huawei last week over concerns the telecom giant’s equipment could be used by Beijing for espionage.

The move, which bans US companies from providing technology Huawei needs, came as the two sides have yet to resume trade negotiations after they exchanged steep increases in tariffs.

A commentary on state-run Xinhua news agency Friday said China now had a “deeper understanding” of US “capriciousness” and was ready to fight with its “Long March” spirit.

It echoes President Xi Jinping’s tough stance when he called on cadres earlier this week to brace themselves for a “new Long March” — recalling the legendary strategic retreat by Communist revolutionaries in the 1930s who regrouped and went on to triumph in 1949.

Xi warned local officials of “complicated and long-term effects” of external influences.

ADVERTISEMENT

The world’s top two economies will “go through a long period of irrational conflict,” said Zhang Yansheng, chief researcher at the China Center for International Economic Exchanges, at a government organised briefing Wednesday.

“And then during this process, step by step… come to understand each other, resist each other, and (finally) cooperate with each other.”

– ‘Selfish and arrogant’ –

Trump has left the door open for reconciliation with plans to meet President Xi on the sidelines of the G20 summit in Japan next month.

ADVERTISEMENT

But Chinese state media have ramped up the rhetoric.

A Xinhua commentary Thursday called the US government “selfish and arrogant”.

“The US is defying international rules, abandoning cooperation agreements and harping on America first, American privilege and American exceptionalism,” it said.

Since Trump raised tariffs on $200 billion in Chinese goods in mid-May, the Communist Party mouthpiece People’s Daily has been running a daily column tag-lined “an alarm bell”, rejecting Trump’s arguments that China’s rise was leading to American losses.

ADVERTISEMENT

Korean War films stoking anti-US sentiments from the 1950s were broadcast for six consecutive days on state television from May 16, reminding audiences of a time when the Cold War came to China’s doorstep as it fought on North’s side against US-led UN forces defending the South.

Meanwhile, a song penned by a former Chinese government official vowing to beat the US “out of its wits” on the trade war went viral this week, before it was pulled down from popular social media platforms WeChat and Weibo for violating their content rules.

The song is set to the tune of a well-known wartime anti-Japanese propaganda film, “Tunnel War”.

“The Chinese nation is facing a dangerous threat now, similar to the difficult times addressed in the film,” lyricist Zhao Liangtian told AFP.

ADVERTISEMENT

“I want to use this song to awaken the masses. We need to unite as one to develop and to fight.”

– ‘Fake’ patriotism –

Chinese netizens have rallied around Huawei after Trump’s threat to kneecap the company, which is widely seen as a move to thwart Beijing’s hi-tech ambitions.

An interview last week with the telecom giant’s founder, Ren Zhengfei, was one of the top trending topics on China’s Twitter-like microblogging platform Weibo.

ADVERTISEMENT

Hundreds of commentators said they wouldn’t abandon the company, while a few called for boycotting iPhones.

But several others said the idea of smashing iPhones was “mere fake patriotism,” after Ren himself said his family uses Apple products.

“US attempts to damage Huawei is only a delay tactic, it won’t lead to a deadlock,” said Shi Yinhong, director of the American studies centre at Renmin University.

But China’s tech sector would have to brace itself for a long, painful period as it had relied heavily on American technologies, he said.

“The American door is closing,” he said, “but China still doesn’t have a plan B.”

Report typos and corrections to [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

QAnon authors in a fight over doing an audiobook — because they think their followers can’t read

Published

on

On Monday, The Daily Beast reported that the authors of a popular book for believers in the QAnon conspiracy theory are in a bitter fight over whether or not to release an audiobook version.

QAnon: An Invitation to The Great Awakening came out last year and peaked near the top of the Amazon bestseller list in March. One of the book's co-authors, Dustin Nemos, is publicly attacking another co-author, who goes by the name of "JoeM," for his "petty and hostile and paranoid" refusal to help produce an audiobook, and notes that it is necessary because a disproportionate number of QAnon believers are elderly, have bad eyesight, and may not be able to read the book as text. JoeM, for his part, has accused Nemos of being a "grifter" who is trying to make a buck off of true believers.

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Missouri governor appoints judge who fundraised for crisis pregnancy center to help decide Planned Parenthood’s license

Published

on

On Monday, the Associated Press reported that Gov. Mike Parson (R-MO) has appointed former Macon County Associate Circuit Judge Philip Prewitt to the Administrative Hearing Commission, a state agency that oversees disputes between the state and organizations seeking licensure.

Prewitt, a former Republican candidate for office, once fundraised on Facebook for Ray of Hope Pregnancy Care Ministeries, a "crisis pregnancy center" that masquerades as a health care facility in order to trick women seeking abortions into listening to anti-abortion propaganda. In 2015, the Missouri Supreme Court reprimanded Prewitt for the post encouraging people to donate, saying that it violated judicial ethics rules.

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Trump being a ‘compulsive liar and erratic ignoramus’ is why he failed on Iran: Conservative columnist

Published

on

President Donald Trump's highly-criticized decision to withdraw from the Iran nuclear deal has resulted as was warned, with the country reviving its nuclear program, a conservative columnist explained in The Washington Post on Monday.

Conservative Max Boot took a victory lap in the hard-hitting column, reminding that he had signed a March 2016 letter by 121 Republican foreign policy analysts warning about Trump's approach.

"I wish we had been wrong, but we were all too right," Boot wrote.

"Trump has shown no ability to grow in office; but then it’s hard to learn if you all you read is Fox News chyrons. He is today the same compulsive liar and erratic ignoramus he was at the start of the 2016 campaign," Boot said. "Only now, the stakes are much higher."

Continue Reading
 
 

Copyright © 2019 Raw Story Media, Inc. PO Box 21050, Washington, D.C. 20009 | Masthead | Privacy Policy | For corrections or concerns, please email [email protected]

I need your help.

Investigating Trump's henchmen is a full time job, and I'm trying to bring in new team members to do more exclusive reports. We have more stories coming you'll love. Join me and help restore the power of hard-hitting progressive journalism.

TAKE A LOOK
close-link

Investigating Trump is a full-time job, and I want to add new team members to do more exclusive reports. We have stories coming you'll love. Join me and go ad-free, while restoring the power of hard-hitting progressive journalism.

TAKE A LOOK
close-link