Fallen movie mogul Harvey Weinstein, who is awaiting trial on two sexual assault charges, will return to court next week to hear a new indictment against him, prosecutors said Thursday.
Weinstein, 67, will appear in a New York state court on Monday, said a spokesman for the Manhattan District Attorney, declining to comment on the details of the indictment.
He added, however, that it did not contain new charges and that the film producer’s trial would start as scheduled on September 9.
The indictment is likely to allow another alleged victim of Weinstein to testify at the trial.
Accusations against Weinstein, 67, propelled America’s #MeToo movement in 2017.
Once one of the most powerful men in Hollywood, Weinstein has been accused of harassment and assault by more than 80 women, including stars such as Angelina Jolie and Ashley Judd.
But he only faces charges involving two women — one who alleges he raped her in 2013, the other that he forced her to perform oral sex on him in 2006.
A lawyer for Weinstein confirmed last week that prosecutors had asked a grand jury to approve a new indictment against him to include the allegations of a third woman.
US media have reported that it is actress Annabella Sciorra, known for her role in hit television series in “The Sopranos.”
In an interview with The New Yorker magazine published in October 2017, she accused Weinstein of raping her after he forced himself into her apartment in the 1990s.
Damon Cheronis, a lawyer for Weinstein, said adding new allegations so close to trial was “unconstitutional” and that the defense would ask for the indictment to be dropped.
Weinstein’s attorneys have also requested the trial be moved, arguing that intense coverage in New York’s tabloids has meant he won’t get a fair trial.
A decision on that is pending.
Trump’s lies and deception are catching up to all of us as the stock market posts ‘worst point drop ever on record’
In a muddled, dishonest, rambling news conference from the White House press briefing room, President Donald Trump for over an hour talked to reporters Wednesday evening about coronavirus in an attempt to stave off three days of market near-collapse. He lied. He twisted the truth. He displayed little grasp of basic facts. He didn’t let the experts run the show.
He instilled no confidence Wednesday night. In fact, the DOW futures dropped as Trump began speaking:
Dow Futures dropped when Trump said the market fell 2k points because of the Dem debate pic.twitter.com/cvbviB2l9a
‘People’s lives will be lost’: Psychiatrist warns ‘sociopath’ Trump is ‘getting worse’ — and failing in coronavirus response
President Donald Trump's psychological problems are getting worse and could be consequential as America faces a potential COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic.
MSNBC's Lawrence O'Donnell on Thursday interviewed Dr. Lance Dodes, a former assistant clinical professor of psychiatry at Harvard Medical School.
"As you pointed out, Lawrence, this man is about himself. He really is not about the country, he's not about public health," Dr. Dodes said of Trump.
"Although he has already severely damaged the country by being a psychopath or sociopath -- in many ways, he's damaged democracy -- I think people's lives will be lost now," he warned. "Individual lives will be lost because of the way he's mishandling the coronavirus issue."
‘Something really rotten’: Here’s the evidence of extensive voter suppression in Georgia’s notorious 2018 election
As the 2020 presidential campaign cycle grinds on, there’s renewed concern about the 21st century’s newest form of warfare: cyber-sabotage of government systems, including elections and online disinformation intended to incite unrest. But as Suppressed: The Fight to Vote, a documentary from Brave New Films, makes clear, partisan voter suppression tactics with 20th-century roots remain and can thwart multitudes of voters from changing their state’s political leaders.