Quantcast
Connect with us

UK’s Boris Johnson under fire over no-deal Brexit assessment

Published

on

The British government faced a backlash on Thursday after it was forced to publish documents warning that a no-deal Brexit could lead to civil unrest and shortages of food and medicines.

The “Operation Yellowhammer” papers, which the government released late on Wednesday, revealed that preparedness for leaving the EU without an agreement remained “at a low level”.

ADVERTISEMENT

The documents — disclosed after MPs voted Monday for their release — warned of “a rise in public disorder and community tensions” in such a scenario, as well as logjams at Channel ports threatening to impact supplies.

“It is extraordinary that these are things that could flow from the government’s own policy,” opposition Labour lawmaker Hilary Benn said.

“Normally when you’re protecting against something like this it’s a natural disaster, it’s the action of others, (things) you don’t control.”

Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s government said they were updating the scenarios, which were last compiled at the start of August, and that it envisaged “the worst case”.

ADVERTISEMENT

“We’re spending the money on doing lots of things to mitigate those assumptions,” Defence Secretary Ben Wallace told the BBC, noting there were daily meetings to prepare for no deal.

“We’ve planned for it and government does that well,” he insisted.

Paul Carter, leader of the local authority in the southeast county of Kent, where there are fears of gridlock following a no-deal Brexit, said Johnson’s administration had made “real progress” recently.

ADVERTISEMENT

“I’m pretty confident that we can avoid disruption in Kent,” he told the BBC.

But the release has fuelled fears among MPs that a disorderly divorce would be calamitous.

“It is unprecedented,” said MP Dominic Grieve, who was expelled from the ruling Conservatives last week for voting against the government over the issue.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Even if we are ready for a no-deal Brexit, this is highly disruptive and costly.”

– ‘Nothing is changing’ –

Johnson took office in July promising to finally deliver on the referendum decision by leaving the EU on October 31 no matter what, but finds himself increasingly boxed in.

ADVERTISEMENT

He has no majority in the Commons and suspended parliament on Monday until October 14 in an apparent bid to thwart opposition to a possible no-deal departure.

The controversial move provoked uproar across the political spectrum and several legal challenges.

A Scottish appeals court ruled Wednesday the suspension was “unlawful” but the government immediately appealed the decision, with the case set to be heard in the Supreme Court next Tuesday.

Parliament will for now stay shut, despite calls from opposition lawmakers for its immediate recall — intensified by the release of the Yellowhammer documents.

ADVERTISEMENT

“It is also now more important than ever that parliament is recalled and has the opportunity to scrutinise these documents and take all steps necessary to stop no deal,” Labour’s Brexit spokesman Keir Starmer said.

However, a government source told AFP on Wednesday that “nothing is changing” until the case was concluded.

Meanwhile another ruling on a legal challenge in Belfast that no deal would breach the terms of Northern Ireland’s 1998 peace accord was expected Thursday.

– ‘Great progress’ –

ADVERTISEMENT

Ahead of the shutdown lawmakers outlawed a no-deal Brexit, but Johnson has insisted Britain will still depart the EU on October 31.

The British leader wants to renegotiate the divorce terms struck by his predecessor Theresa May, which MPs have repeatedly rejected.

But European leaders accuse him of offering no viable alternatives.

Johnson, whose EU adviser David Frost is currently in Brussels, insisted Wednesday they were making “great progress” towards getting a deal.

“The ice floes are cracking, there is movement under the keel of these talks,” he said.

ADVERTISEMENT


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Rudy Giuliani harshly mocked after admitting Trump’s guilt in new WSJ column

Published

on

President Donald Trump's defense attorney took to the pages a Rupert Murdoch's newspaper to make "the case for the impeachment defense" on the eve of televised inquiry hearings.

Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani lashed out enemies while clinging to conspiracy theories in his Wall Street Journal op-ed.

Giuliani began by attacking the press for reporting on Trump's solicitation of foreign election interference.

"If your only sources of news the past two months have been CNN and MSNBC, you probably think President Trump has committed some heinous act that is deserving of being drawn, quartered and carted out of the White House," Giuliani argued. "That’s a false narrative built on selectively leaked testimony from Rep. Adam Schiff’s closed-door Intelligence Committee hearings."

Continue Reading

CNN

CNN’s Cuomo hammers GOP lobbyist for saying Trump can fire the inspector general

Published

on

On Tuesday's edition of CNN's "Cuomo Prime Time," anchor Chris Cuomo pushed back on GOP lobbyist and American Conservative Union director Matt Schlapp for saying President Donald Trump has the right to fire Intelligence Community Inspector General Michael Atkinson for transmitting the whistleblower complaint.

"Why would it be okay for the president to go after the inspector general for dealing with the whistleblower?" said Cuomo.

"Because he serves at the pleasure of the president. The president can get rid of them at any time," said Schlapp. "At the State Department during Obama's presidency, during the whole time Hillary was at the State Department, he didn't bother to pick an IG."

Continue Reading
 

Facebook

Everything you need to know about the impeachment hearings in House Intelligence Committee this week

Published

on

The House Intelligence Committee will hold its first open hearings Wednesday at 10 a.m. ET and Raw Story will have a live stream on our website for those unable to watch on television. The second hearing is scheduled for 9 a.m. ET on Friday.

Three key witnesses are slated to appear:

Top Ukraine diplomat Bill Taylor -- he has already testified that the White House set up a parallel foreign policy channel that ultimately undermined the US national security interests, calling it a "snake pit." His previous statements revealed how he and other diplomats “sat in astonishment” after hearing that aid was being withheld.

Continue Reading
 
 
Help Raw Story Uncover Injustice. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1 and go ad-free.
close-image