Quantcast
Connect with us

Roman Polanski weighing legal response after latest rape claim

Published

on

Roman Polanski may sue the French newspaper that published accusations he raped a former actress in the 1970s, his lawyer said Sunday, as he comes under renewed fire over the latest claim of sexual assault to emerge against the Oscar-winning director in recent years.

France’s author and director guild could meet soon on whether to exclude the French-Polish star, its vice-president told Le Parisien newspaper, which published the allegations Friday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Valentine Monnier, a photographer and former actress, recounted an “extremely violent” assault and rape by Polanski at his chalet in the Swiss ski resort of Gstaad in 1975, when she was 18.

Monnier said he tried to make her swallow a pill during the attack, and later made a tearful apology while demanding a promise that she never tell anyone.

“I thought I was going to die,” she said in an open letter published by Le Parisien, which also interviewed her and said it had contacted witnesses who confirmed the account.

Monnier is the first Frenchwoman to level charges of sexual assault against Polanski, whose new film, “An Officer and a Spy”, comes out in France under the title “J’accuse” on Wednesday.

“Mr Polanski disputes in the strongest terms this rape accusation,” his lawyer Herve Temime told AFP in a statement.

ADVERTISEMENT

“We are working on the legal action to bring against this publication,” he added.

– Pressure mounts –

Monnier’s claims have rocked a French film industry already reeling after a top actress last week accused the director of her first film of sexually harassing her when she was just 12.

ADVERTISEMENT

AFP/File / Laurent EMMANUEL French actress Adele Haenel, who last week accused a director of sexually harassing her when she was 12, tweeted support for Valentine Monnier

Adele Haenel, whose account has garnered an outpouring of support, on Saturday urged others to speak out in support of Monnier and “take notice of her story”.

ADVERTISEMENT

The allegations may prove a turning point for French cinema, where the MeToo movement against rape and sexual assault that rocked Hollywood has not prompted as deep a reckoning of abuses in the industry.

Broadcaster TF1 confirmed Sunday that the star of Polanski’s new film, Jean Dujardin, had cancelled a prime-time interview set for Sunday night.

The Dutch-Belgian actress Sand Van Roy, who has accused French director Luc Besson of rape in a case under investigation, tweeted that she believed Monnier’s graphic account.

ADVERTISEMENT

Monnier wrote that Polanski “pummelled me until I gave in and then raped me, making me do all sorts of things”.

She had previously written to France’s first lady Brigitte Macron, who forwarded them to France’s equality minister Marlene Schiappa, who has pushed for new measures to combat sexual abuse.

Schiappa wrote to Monnier in March last year and hailed her courage “in daring to break the silence,” while reiterating that the alleged attack was beyond France’s statutes of limitations for prosecution.

– ‘Criminal past’ –

ADVERTISEMENT

Monnier, who acted in a few films in the 1980s, said the release of Polanski’s film, about one of the most notorious errors of justice in French history, the Dreyfus affair, had prompted her to speak out.

“How could he benefit from public funds to instrumentalise history, and in doing so rewrite his own to cover up his criminal past,” she wrote.

Polanski was first accused of rape by the mother of American Samantha Geimer, who was 13 when she was drugged at the home of film star Jack Nicholson in Los Angeles in 1977.

AFP/File / Thomas SAMSON The star of Polanski’s new film, Jean Dujardin, has cancelled a prime-time interview set for Sunday night

ADVERTISEMENT

In 2010, British actress Charlotte Lewis accused him of “sexually abusing” her in 1983 when she was 16.

Another woman, identified only as Robin, accused him in August 2017 of sexual assault when she was 16 in 1973.

The next month, former actress Renate Langer filed a new complaint alleging she was raped by Polanski in 1972 when she was 15.

And then in October 2017, California artist Marianne Barnard accused him of sexually assaulting her in 1975 after asking her to pose naked when she was just 10 years old.

The claims, all denied by Polanski, nevertheless forced him to abandon the presidency of the 2017 Cesars, the French equivalent of the Oscars.

ADVERTISEMENT

Although awarded the 2003 Best Director Oscar for “The Pianist”, Polanski was expelled from the US Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences in 2018.


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

2020 Election

Mike Bloomberg doesn’t understand he is part of the problem

Published

on

The entry of Michael Bloomberg, one the world’s wealthiest men, into the Democratic Presidential primary contest arrives at a moment when Earth is facing growing levels of obscene wealth concentration and income disparity.

This article first appeared in Salon

“Last year 26 people owned the same [amount of wealth] as the 3.8 billion people who make up the poorest half of humanity,” reported Oxfam International in 2018. According to the anti-poverty charity, in the decade since Wall Street’s pillaging of Main Street that induced the Great Recession, “the fortunes of the richest have risen dramatically” with the number of billionaires doubling.The former New York City mayor touts the amassing of his $55.4 billion fortune, starting from a $10-million-dollar buyout he got when he was fired from Salomon Brothers, as one of his top qualifications for the nation’s highest office.

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

GOPer Collins battered for demand to postpone Trump impeachment so he can get caught up: ‘Collins doesn’t do his homework’

Published

on

On Saturday, Rep. Doug Collins (R-GA), the senior Republican on the House Judiciary Committee made a demand to the Democrats that they postpone Monday's hearing on the impeachment of Donald Trump, saying he needed more time to digest a fifty-plus page report that Democrats released over the weekend.

After tweeting out his demand -- as well as issuing a statement -- the voluble Trump defenders was hammered on his own Twitter feed with commenters telling him do his job and read the report in the meantime.

After Collins tweeted, "Chairman Nadler has no choice but to postpone Monday’s hearing in the wake of a last-minute document transmission that shows just how far Democrats have gone to pervert basic fairness," he got buried in derision.

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Trump’s damage to the federal government is driving voters to turn to more liberal candidates: report

Published

on

According to a report from Politico, Donald Trump's tenure has not resulted in voters becoming more conservative, and instead, he is driving them into the arms of more liberal and progressive candidates at the local level who are then using their newfound power to change Democratic policies at the national level.

Trump's negative influence is turning into a positive for those candidates -- particularly in the big cities.

"From New York City to Los Angeles, many of the nation’s biggest cities have turned even harder to the left under President Donald Trump, putting pressure on local officials to embrace the leading progressive presidential candidates — or withhold their endorsements entirely for fear of antagonizing newly energized activists," the report states. "It’s a drastic political shift in some places, where for decades entrenched party bosses crushed any signs of life on the left or tended to put the weight of big-city institutional support behind Democratic establishment-oriented candidates."

Continue Reading