Quantcast
Connect with us

Trump launches NATO meet with attack on ‘nasty’ France

Published

on

US President Donald Trump launched a two-day NATO meeting Tuesday with a blistering attack on France’s criticism of the alliance and on “delinquent” members that don’t pay their way.

At a news conference held to celebrate NATO’s success in cajoling European allies to boost their defence spending, Trump could not resist lashing out at President Emmanuel Macron.

ADVERTISEMENT

Macron had tried to shake up the agenda for the London summit by branding the 70-year-old Western alliance “brain dead”, but Trump slapped him down and warned that he could see Paris “breaking away” from NATO.

“NATO serves a great purpose,” Trump said, at a joint press appearance with alliance Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg.

“I think that’s very insulting,” he said of Macron’s comment, branding it a “very, very nasty statement essentially to 28 countries.

“Nobody needs NATO more than France,” he said. “It’s a very dangerous statement for them to make.

Asked whether the US alliance with NATO was shaky, Trump denied it, but said: “I do see France breaking off … I see him breaking off.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Trump defended Stoltenberg, boasting that NATO members have massively increased their defense spending thanks to his pressure — but then reiterated his complaints about European spending.

“When I came in, I was angry at NATO, and now I’ve raised 130 billion dollars,” Trump said, referring to the sum Stoltenberg says Canada and European members will have added to defense budgets by next year.

“And yet you still have many delinquent — you know I call them delinquent when they’re not paid up in full,” he said. Only nine of NATO’s 29 members spend two percent of their GDP on defense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Trump cited in particular Germany as falling short, spending only one to 1.3 percent.

Leaders of the 29 allies are descending on London to lock horns over spending and how to deal with Russia in a major test of unity as NATO seeks to assert its relevance.

ADVERTISEMENT

– ‘Brain death’ –

If the Macron comments set an angry tone for the meeting, there are also expected to be clashes with Turkey’s President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, who was also furious with the French leader.

“First of all, have your own brain death checked. These statements are suitable only to people like you who are in a state of brain death,” he said last week.

French officials summoned the Turkish envoy in Paris to complain while a US administration official predicted that many members would tackle Turkey over its purchase of a Russian S-400 air defense system.

ADVERTISEMENT

Turkey, in turn, has warned it will block a NATO plan to defend Baltic countries unless the alliance recognizes a Kurdish militant group as terrorists, Erdogan said before the summit.

It was reported last week that Ankara was blocking NATO’s new Baltic defense plan, demanding greater support in its fight against the Syrian Kurdish People’s Protection Units (YPG).

NATO has mooted a plan to bolster the defenses of Poland, Estonia, Lithuania and Latvia against a potential attack from Russia, though details remain unclear.

Macron and Erdogan will come face to face on Tuesday in a four-way meeting with Merkel and British Prime Minister Boris Johnson, whose spokesman said he would be emphasizing the need for NATO unity.

ADVERTISEMENT

“We can see this as likely the tale of three egos,” said Amanda Sloat, a former senior diplomat and a fellow of the Brookings Institution, warning that Trump, Macron and Erdogan were the figures to watch.

The summit also comes at an unexpectedly awkward moment for Johnson, with Britain in the midst of a frenetic election campaign.

Normally a summit like this would give the PM of the day a boost but with Trump deeply unpopular among many British voters, his visit is a potential banana skin for Johnson.

– Where next? –

The substance of the meeting is thin, with only one three-hour session planned, where leaders are expected to sign off on a set of decisions already taken by NATO foreign and defense ministers.

ADVERTISEMENT

These include making space a full domain of conflict — alongside land, sea, air and cyber space — as well as a new report on how the alliance should approach China and its growing international assertiveness.

What is likely to be more significant in the longer run is the fallout from Macron’s broadside, in which he complained NATO talks too much about money and not enough about strategic priorities.

In response, Germany has suggested setting up an expert panel to look at how NATO can be adapted to address political questions more effectively.


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

‘Outrageous and criminal behavior’: Internet blows up at graphic video of Buffalo Police pushing over an elderly man

Published

on

On Thursday, footage emerged of police in Buffalo, New York pushing an elderly man to the ground, and refusing to help him as he lay bleeding profusely from a head injury.

The footage triggered immediate outrage on social media.

Horrible. I pray he’s ok. https://t.co/wL2gcNeAIT

— Joe Walsh (@WalshFreedom) June 5, 2020

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

WATCH: Protester bled from his ear after being shoved by police — cops say he ‘tripped’

Published

on

SHocking video from Buffalo, New York was posted online on Thursday after a large group of police confronted a lone protester -- and then violently shoved him.

"Shortly after Buffalo’s curfew started, city police and State Police swept through the area of Niagara Square directly in front of City Hall to clear the area where a protest was finishing. An unidentified, older man was hit shoved by two officers in the line. The man lost his balance and fell to the pavement, audibly hitting his head with blood running out from under his head," WBFO-TV reports.

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Trump aides are compiling candidates to replace Mark Esper if Trump decides to fire him: report

Published

on

On Thursday, Politico reported that although Defense Secretary Mark Esper's job appears safe for now, aides to President Donald Trump are compiling a list of potential nominees to replace him if the president changes his mind and decides to fire him.

"An administration official and two people close to the White House say staffers in recent days have pulled together a list of possible candidates for Defense secretary if Trump does choose to fire Esper," reported Lara Seligman, Daniel Lippman, and Meridith McGraw. "At the top of that list is Army Secretary Ryan McCarthy, who was Esper’s No. 2 before taking the Army job last summer, the people said. Sen. Tom Cotton (R-Ark.), an outspoken Trump ally who has previously been considered for the position, is also in the mix, according to one of the people."

Continue Reading
 
 
You need honest news coverage. Help us deliver it. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free.
close-image