Montreal (AFP) - A Canadian brewery has apologized for naming one of its beers after the Maori term for "pubic hair", and not "feather" as it had intended, CBC reported.Hell's Basement Brewery in Alberta province launched its Huruhuru (The Feather) New Zealand pale ale two years ago, using the Maori term they believed meant feather to reflect its light citrus taste for a summer brew.But earlier this week Maori former TV personality Te Hamua Nikora posted a Facebook video to explain "huruhuru" was more commonly used in Te Reo Maori to refer to pubic hair, and said it would have been prudent and...
Since the shooting, the Southeast Michigan community has raised thousands of dollars for the victims and their families, held numerous vigils and memorials and offered each other support to mourn together.
“These last few days have been some of the hardest we’ve ever had. Michiganders are strong, but we are brokenhearted right now,” said Gov. Gretchen Whitmer to the crowd. “We’ve lived through one of the worst weeks in Michigan’s history, but this week, we’ve also seen some of the best in one another.”
All speakers on Friday thanked the teachers, first responders and parents who were quick to help save thousands of lives Tuesday.
But Oxford Chaplain Dave Gerber said there is another group of people who need to be thanked for their response this week: the approximately 1,800 students recovering from the tragedy.
“You are heroes,” Gerber said to the crowd, filled with students and their parents. “Because you are a generation that might just teach my generation how to get it done.”
Shortly after the vigil began, a moment of panic set in after one person in the crowd fainted. The calls for help to assist the person set the already on-edge crowd in a momentary frenzy, but it was quickly reigned in.
While some people ran away unsure of what was happening, Oakland County Executive Dave Coulter calmed the crowd.
“There’s no harm; there’s no violence,” Coulter said. “We’re on edge, we’re scared, but we’re Oxford Strong.”
Ethan Crumbley, the 15-year-old accused of firing a gun at Oxford High on Tuesday, was arraigned on Wednesday for charges including terrorism causing death, first-degree murder, assault with intent to murder, and possession of a firearm in the commission of a felony. If convicted, he faces up to life in prison.
His parents, James and Jennifer Crumbley, were also charged Friday with four counts of homicide and involuntary manslaughter after ignoring the school’s concerns over their son’s disturbing behavior.
Oakland County Sheriff Mike Bouchard confirmed to CNN Friday afternoon that the Crumbleys were missing. They were apprehended in Detroit early Sunday morning after a massive manhunt following their vehicle being discovered in the city.
The focus on Friday night, however, wasn’t on the Crumbleys. Instead, the crowd mourned for the students who died, prayed for the students who have been injured and cheered for the community’s strength.
“People will try to define us. We will be reduced to a statistic. But we are always Oxford,” Gerber said. “They are not going to define us, because we will not be defined by this tragedy. We will be defined by the people that are standing next to us today.”
GET THE MORNING HEADLINES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX
Michigan Advance is part of States Newsroom, a network of news bureaus supported by grants and a coalition of donors as a 501c(3) public charity. Michigan Advance maintains editorial independence. Contact Editor Susan Demas for questions: email@example.com. Follow Michigan Advance on Facebook and Twitter.
The parents of a 15-year-old who shot dead four students at a US high school with a gun bought by his father have been arrested as a SWAT team stood by after being charged with involuntary manslaughter, according to CNN
The whereabouts of James and Jennifer Crumbley, the parents of shooting suspect Ethan Crumbley, had remained unknown for much of Friday, prompting authorities in Oakland County, Michigan to consider them fugitives.
But police found them in an industrial building in Detroit -- 40 miles from the scene of the shooting in Oxford -- a block away from where their suspected vehicle had been found, Detroit police spokesperson Rudy Harper told CNN.
The Crumbleys' lawyers Shannon Smith and Mariell Lehman had previously told AFP that after leaving town on the night of the shooting "for their own safety," the parents would be "returning to the area to be arraigned."
Yet local law enforcement officials told CNN the parents withdrew $4,000 from a money machine near Oxford on Friday and turned their phones off, heightening the mystery over their disappearance.
Oakland County prosecutor Karen McDonald, in a rare move by law enforcement, had announced that each of the parents faces four counts of involuntary manslaughter.
"These charges are intended to hold the individuals who contributed to this tragedy accountable and also send the message that gun owners have a responsibility," McDonald said at a press conference.
"While the shooter was the one who entered the high school and pulled the trigger, there are other individuals who contributed to the events on November 30."
As the manhunt escalated, US Marshals on Friday issued $10,000 rewards for information leading to the arrest of either parent and County Sheriff Michael Bouchard said the pair "cannot run from their part in this tragedy."
Four students, aged 14 to 17, were killed in the shooting at Oxford High School north of Detroit and six more were wounded, along with a teacher.
Ethan Crumbley has been charged as an adult with state murder and terror charges.
While school shootings carried out by teens occur frequently in the United States, it is unusual for parents to face charges.
Four days before the shooting, James Crumbley bought the 9mm Sig Sauer semi-automatic handgun used by his son.
Ethan was with his father at the time of the purchase at a local firearms store and the teen posted a picture of the gun on his Instagram account, writing "just got my new beauty today" along with a heart emoji.
According to police, Ethan Crumbley recorded a video on his cell phone the night before the attack saying he was planning a shooting at the school the next day, but it was not posted online.
That same day, a teacher at the school had observed Ethan Crumbley searching for ammunition on his cell phone during class and reported it to school officials.
His mother was contacted by the school but did not respond to voicemail or email messages.
McDonald said Jennifer Crumbley did exchange a text message about the incident with her son that day, writing: "lol I'm not mad at you. You have to learn not to get caught."
The parents were summoned to the school on the day of the shooting after a teacher was "alarmed" by a note she found on Ethan Crumbley's desk, McDonald said.
It featured a drawing of a gun and the words "The thoughts won't stop. Help me."
It also had a picture of a bullet, a person who had been shot and the words "my life is useless" and "the world is dead," she said.
The parents were shown the drawing at a meeting with school officials and advised that they needed to get the boy into counselling within 48 hours.
McDonald said they resisted taking their son home and he returned to class.
He later entered a bathroom, emerged with the gun, which he had concealed in his backpack, and opened fire.
"The notion that a parent could read those words and also know that their son had access to a deadly weapon that they gave him is unconscionable and I think it's criminal," McDonald said.
"I am angry," she said. "I'm angry as a mother. I'm angry as the prosecutor. I'm angry as a person that lives in this county.
"We need to do better in this country."
Ethan Crumbley fired at least 30 rounds, reloading as fellow students fled.
McDonald said Jennifer Crumbley, when she heard about the shooting, had texted her son, saying: "Ethan don't do it."
James Crumbley drove home and called the emergency line 911 to report that a gun was missing from his house and that he believed his son may be the shooter, McDonald said.
(with additional reporting from AFP)
CNN 12 04 2021 06 15 03 youtu.be
Former president Donald Trump reportedly had McDonald's brought to Walter Reed hospital after he was taken there following his COVID-19 diagnosis in October 2020.
The detail is included in former White House chief of staff Mark Meadows' new book, according to New York Times reporter Maggie Haberman.
"Trump had McDonald’s brought to Walter Reed after the Regeneron started kicking in, per Meadows," Haberman wrote on Twitter Friday night, as she was apparently reading the former chief of staff's book.
"They had to eat with face shields on at the doctor’s orders, which didn’t thrill any of them," Haberman added.
Trump is well known for his love of McDonald's and other fast food and unhealthy fare. His former campaign manager, Corey Lewandowski, once wrote that on the candidate's airplane, "there were four major food groups: McDonald’s, Kentucky Fried Chicken, pizza, and Diet Coke.”
According to Lewandowski, a McDonald's meal for Trump typically consisted of “two Big Macs, two Filet-O-Fish, and a chocolate malted" — which, as the Atlantic noted, represents a 2,400 calorie meal with twice the average daily recommendation of sodium. According to the CDC, obesity may triple the risk of hospitalization due to a COVID-19 infection.
In the White House, Trump directed kitchen staff to make McDonald's menu items, and served fast food to the Clemson Tigers national champion football team. Journalist Michael Wolff once reported that Trump likes McDonald’s because of his “longtime fear of being poisoned,” since “nobody knew he was coming and the food was safely premade.”
Meadows' book made headlines this week in part due to his revelation that Trump tested positive for COVID before his first debate with President Joe Biden — and a week before announcing his diagnosis.
According to Haberman, Meadows also wrote about coming down with COVID himself after Election Day.
“The president told me it was not a convenient time for me to get sick,” he wrote.