In the same week that he railed and voted against providing needed aid to millions who are suffering, Senator Marco Rubio decided this would be a good opportunity to pass along a little Scripture about returning to the Lord.
It didn't work out so well.
Rubio brought out the creativity in lots of indignant Twitter posters who weren't resting on the Sabbath when it came to pointing out his hypocrisy. The Florida senator had passed along his message beneath a strange partisan rant threatening that he wouldn't give Amazon tax breaks and allow it to abuse workers. His implied reason: to retaliate politically against the corporate giant -- not for some policy reason, but rather because Amazon had become too "woke."
Besides missing an important point that Amazon needs reining in for a lot better reasons than his absurd grievances, Rubio also overlooked an important Biblical teaching:
"If thou shalt invoke My Name in the same fortnight that thou hath denied a helping hand to the poor and needy to smite a mighty plague of disease, thou art asking for trouble."
Here's Rubio's Tweet:
Come, let us return to the LORD, For it is he who has torn, but he will heal us; he has struck down, but he will bi… https://t.co/sKyDCUlQSD— Marco Rubio (@Marco Rubio) 1615646101.0
Here are some of the finer points that came forth in the responsive reading to Rubio's post:
- Do not have supported vast tax cuts for the rich and then try to sound like a far-left populist when it comes to one corporate giant that made you mad.
- Do not even think about toting passages from the Bible on social media right after voting to oppose COVID relief, the minimum wage and health care for the poor.
- Be prepared to support future increased taxation on all corporate giants and unionization of their workforces -- along with better wages -- if that's what you're preaching in the name of the Lord for this one.
- Don't be a hypocrite.
- Don't insult people's intelligence.
- "Beware of those with a mouth full of scripture and a heart fill of hate."
- "Nobody thinks Amazon is woke. Nobody."
Here's a sampling of the Tweets that Rubio teed up with his utter lack shame and self-awareness:
@marcorubio Fun fact: In Antebellum America, many folks who beat and raped their slaves (in @marcorubio's Florida… https://t.co/5pVqMt9LbY— Frank Amari (@Frank Amari) 1615646665.0
@marcorubio Hey Marco, please step a little to the right... more... There! Now hold still... https://t.co/oLmfa4CRfV— EnjoyLifeToday (@EnjoyLifeToday) 1615650204.0
@marcorubio https://t.co/cOYCSk4ads— Robin (@Robin) 1615655739.0
@marcorubio So you agree, we should raise the minimum wage & tax big corporations more? https://t.co/ukBURtzevB— Liam Purcy (@Liam Purcy) 1615648049.0
@marcorubio It must be exhausting to put yourself into a mental pretzel everyday. So the only criteria to unionize… https://t.co/uJfhMui2aW— Joe DaSilva (@Joe DaSilva) 1615646852.0
@marcorubio Marco: Don Jr. does crazy better. #bluewave2022— Merrick Garland: Unleash the Hounds! (@Merrick Garland: Unleash the Hounds!) 1615652231.0
@marcorubio https://t.co/vlkvJZYvap— Lori Granito 💛🐝 (@Lori Granito 💛🐝) 1615650786.0
@marcorubio Rubio voted against:$1,400 checks for millions $300 weekly unemployment payments $350B for state & loca… https://t.co/D5UaMO1erj— Suzy23 (@Suzy23) 1615646514.0