Quantcast
Connect with us

Activists sue San Francisco over Google bus pilot program

Published

on

By Mary Papenfuss

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) – Activists have sued the city and county of San Francisco over a pilot program giving shuttles run by Google and other private companies access to municipal bus stops, claiming it favors higher-paid technology workers over low-income residents.

The lawsuit, filed in San Francisco Superior Court on Thursday, marks the latest sign of tensions in the Bay Area over the growing income divide, which has been widened by the latest tech industry boom.

Late last year, protesters began to block the commuter buses that ferry employees from San Francisco to the offices of tech companies, including Facebook, Google and Yahoo, south of the city, which they say symbolize the rift being created by abundant tech money.

Under the 18-month pilot program the unmarked, WiFi-equipped buses use San Francisco Municipal transit system stops for a fee of $1 per stop per day and are viewed by many as a symbol of the industry’s disconnect from a broader community left behind by the tech boom.

ADVERTISEMENT

The lawsuit, filed by a coalition of transit and housing activists and a labor union, argues that in addition to displacing lower-income workers, the buses will increase pollution, boost risks to pedestrians and bicyclists and interfere with public transit.

“It’s a good thing to transport employees to work on buses, but there is an impact,” said Oakland attorney Richard Drury, who’s representing the plaintiffs. “We want the city to analyze what that is and mitigate the harm as much as possible.”

San Francisco has exempted the project from review under the California Environmental Quality Act, citing guidelines that allow such action for a data-gathering phase of a plan that doesn’t create a “major disturbance” to an environmental resource, which the suit charges is a violation of the law.

ADVERTISEMENT

“There’s one set of rules for the tech industry, and another set for the rest of us,” complained Chris Daley, political director of SIEU Local Union 1021, a plaintiff in the suit with the Coalition for Fair, Legal and Environmental Transit. The buses tie up traffic and make their way into public bus stops without paying a fair share of the freight, he said.

A spokesman for City Attorney Dennis Herrera said there would be no comment until after the staff had an opportunity to study the complaint.

A city study estimates that 350 private buses account for 35,000 boardings each day at 200 San Francisco sites, many of them MUNI stops, which the vehicles currently are not legally allowed to use.

ADVERTISEMENT

(Editing by Dan Whitcomb and Ken Wills)

[Image via Agence France-Presse]


Report typos and corrections to [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

‘White Identity Politics’ and white backlash: How we wound up with a racist in the White House

Published

on

Today's Republican Party is the largest, most powerful and most dangerous white racist organization in the United States -- if not the world. Donald Trump, the president of the United States, is its leader. These are plain if not understated facts. No embellishment is needed. The examples are many.  Over the last few days Donald Trump has repeatedly dug into his bucket of racist political scatology, saying on Twitter and elsewhere that four nonwhite members of Congress ("Progressive' Democrat Congresswomen," as he mockingly put it) should leave America and go back to their own "crime infested" and "totally broken" countries.

Continue Reading

Facebook

US hopes North Korea talks will go ahead despite Pyongyang threat

Published

on

The United States said Tuesday it hoped to hold denuclearization talks with North Korea, after Pyongyang warned that US-South Korean military exercises could affect their planned resumption.

The North had earlier Tuesday hinted it could even reconsider its moratorium on nuclear testing over next month's drills, which have been held for years but were scaled down to ease tensions with Pyongyang.

It was the North's first statement on the talks since US President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un agreed to a resumption of dialogue at an impromptu meeting in the Demilitarized Zone that divides the two Koreas on June 30.

Continue Reading
 

Facebook

El Chapo awaits life in prison sentence by US judge

Published

on

After a run as one of the world's most powerful and notorious criminals, Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman is expected to be sentenced to life in prison when he appears in a New York courtroom on Wednesday.

Guzman, the 62-year-old former leader of the powerful Sinaloa drug cartel, was convicted in February of crimes spanning a quarter of a century, including trafficking hundreds of tons of cocaine, heroin, methamphetamines and marijuana to the United States.

The charges, which also include money laundering and weapons-related offenses, carry a mandatory life sentence.

Continue Reading
 
 
 

Copyright © 2019 Raw Story Media, Inc. PO Box 21050, Washington, D.C. 20009 | Masthead | Privacy Policy | For corrections or concerns, please email [email protected]

close-image