Quantcast
Connect with us

After death threats, feminist speaker has to cancel talk because of Utah’s concealed carry laws

Published

on

Game critic Anita Sarkeesian speaks in a YouTube video (Screenshot)

Feminist video critic Anita Sarkeesian canceled an appearance at Utah State University after being informed that campus police couldn’t prevent concealed firearms from being brought into the venue.

The university said in a statement that Sarkeesian planned to speak at the school despite email threats of a “Montreal Massacre style attack” until campus police told her that state law allowed anyone with a concealed firearm permit to bring their weapon to the event.

ADVERTISEMENT

Sarkeesian confirmed the cancellation on Twitter on Tuesday night:

The Ogden Standard Examiner reported earlier in the day that university staff members received an email from someone claiming to be a student, and threatening both the school and students if Sarkeesian was allowed to appear.

“I have at my disposal a semi-automatic rifle, multiple pistols, and a collection of pipe bombs,” the message read. “This will be the deadliest school shooting in American history and I’m giving you a chance to stop it.”

ADVERTISEMENT

The message also said that efforts to increase security would be futile.

“Even if they’re able to stop me, there are plenty of feminists on campus who won’t be able to defend themselves,” the note read. “One way or another, I’m going to make sure they die.”

The line concerning the “Montreal Massacre” is a reference to a December 1989 mass shooting by 25-year-old Marc Lépine, who killed 14 women and injured 10 others, as well as four other men, before shooting and killing himself at the École Polytechnique. Lépine, who had been denied admission to the school, reportedly yelled, “You’re all a bunch of feminists, and I hate feminists!” during the attack.

ADVERTISEMENT

University officials said at that point that the threats were “consistent” with similar messages sent to venues where Sarkeesian was scheduled to speak. Sarkeesian has been targeted for harassment and intimidation for more than a year. This past August, she and her family were forced to leave their home following an especially gruesome series of threats against them.


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

2020 Election

Trump has 66 GOP endorsements ‘former national security and senior officials’ — who have no real experience: conservative

Published

on

In an election year, it is commonplace for candidates to list lengthy endorsements in an effort to showcase the trust, loyalty and earned respect by recognizable names and organizations. This year, the process is a bit different.

Democratic nominee Joe Biden is winning far more endorsements from national security professionals and retired flag officers — and by a large margin. The former vice president has the endorsement of 780 retired military officers and national security appointees — nearly 12 times as many as Trump. On the flip-side, Trump has a total of 66.

Continue Reading

2020 Election

Trump ‘abruptly’ storms out of 60 Minutes interview and refuses to return: report

Published

on

President Donald Trump was said to have "abruptly" ended an interview with 60 Minutes correspondent Leslie Stahl at the White House.

According to CNN correspondent Kaitlan Collins, the "drama" occurred on Tuesday afternoon.

"Apparently there was some drama while President Trump was taping his 60 Minutes interview today," Collins wrote on Twitter. "He abruptly ended his solo interview after around 45 minutes & did not return for a scheduled walk & talk he was supposed to tape with Pence, @abdallahcnn and I are told by sources."

Apparently there was some drama while President Trump was taping his 60 Minutes interview today. He abruptly ended his solo interview after around 45 minutes & did not return for a scheduled walk & talk he was supposed to tape with Pence, @abdallahcnn and I are told by sources.

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Trump mask-shames CBS reporter Lesley Stahl — and ominously warns ‘much more to come’

Published

on

President Donald Trump has spent months belittling people for wearing masks during the COVID-19 pandemic.

His anti-mask attitude reportedly resulted in White House and campaign staff not wearing masks so as to avoid angering their boss.

And Trump has repeatedly attacked Joe Biden for wearing facial coverings -- even after the president was hospitalized for COVID-19.

But on Tuesday, Trump dramatically shifted his position and mask-shamed CBS "60 Minutes" reporter Lesley Stahl, posting video of her not wearing a mask while Trump was.

Trump included video of their interview in his tweet:

Continue Reading
 
 
Democracy is in peril. Invest in progressive news. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free. LEARN MORE