Quantcast
Connect with us

Safety expert: Virgin Galactic ‘ignored’ repeated warnings prior to deadly crash

Published

on

Virgin Galactic “ignored” repeated warnings in the years leading up to the deadly crash of its spacecraft in California, a rocket science safety expert said Sunday, as investigators hunted for clues to the accident.

Carolynne Campbell, a rocket propulsion expert with the Netherlands-based International Association for the Advancement of Space Safety, said she could not speculate on the cause of Friday’s crash without “all the data.”

ADVERTISEMENT

However, she said multiple warnings about the spacecraft’s motor and the fuel used to power it had been issued to Virgin since 2007, when three engineers died testing a rocket on the ground.

“Based on the work we’ve done, including me writing a paper on the handling of nitrous oxide, we were concerned about what was going on at Virgin Galactic,” she told AFP.

“I sent copies of the paper to various people at Virgin Galactic in 2009, and they were ignored.”

Campbell said she outlined concerns to Virgin Galactic in a subsequent telephone conversation, but her warning again went unheeded.

“I warned them… that the rocket motor was potentially dangerous,” she said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Campbell’s warnings related to nitrous oxide, reportedly used as a fuel component in the doomed craft along with a new substance derived from nylon plastic grains.

A team of investigators from the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) has been deployed to the Mojave Desert to probe Friday’s crash, which left pilot Michael Alsbury dead and and co-pilot Pete Siebold seriously injured.

– ‘Safety number one priority’ –

ADVERTISEMENT

British tycoon Richard Branson said that safety had always been Virgin’s paramount concern.

“Safety has always been our number one priority,” Branson said, adding that the company would not “push on blindly” with its ambitious space program until the causes of the accident had been determined.

ADVERTISEMENT

Branson, however, took aim at early speculation of the causes of the crash, which had focused on the new rocket fuel.

“To be honest, I find it slightly irresponsible that people who know nothing about what they’re saying can be saying things before the NTSB makes their comments,” he told reporters in Mojave on Saturday.

Virgin Galactic chief executive George Whitesides also questioned the safety claims, telling the Financial Times in an interview published Sunday that differences of opinion were common in the world of space flight development.

ADVERTISEMENT

“In the space community, you will be able to find people who have favorite technologies of different types. One group will say their type of technology is better than another,” the paper quoted him as saying.

“We pay a lot of attention to the several hundred engineers that we have on staff, and other expert consultants we’ve talked with about our technologies.”

– ‘No sign of explosion’ –

Witnesses to Friday’s crash say there was no obvious sign of an explosion before Virgin’s suborbital SpaceShipTwo broke apart and hurtled to earth shortly after it had detached from a mothership at an altitude of around 45,000 feet (13,700 meters).

ADVERTISEMENT

The crash was the second disaster to rock the private space industry in less than a week, after an Antares rocket carrying supplies to the International Space Station exploded after takeoff in Virginia in Tuesday.

Experts say the accident will delay the advent of commercial space tourism by several years.

Virgin Galactic had hoped to start ferrying wealthy customers to the edge of space next year, charging $250,000 per person for a ticket on the company’s six-seater vehicle.

NTSB acting chairman Christopher Hart said on-site investigations would last up to a week but the full probe piecing together facts and analysis “will be probably 12 months or so.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Wreckage from the crash was strewn over an five miles (eight kilometers) long, Hart said.

Investigators hoped to yield clues to the causes of the crash from the reams of telemetry data and video footage expected to be available, Hart said.

An NTSB briefing in Mojave was scheduled for later Sunday at 8:00 pm (0400 GMT Monday).


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Trump campaign demands media ‘retract’ claim that protesters were tear gassed at the White House

Published

on

On Tuesday, President Donald Trump's campaign released a statement demanding that media outlets "correct or retract" the reporting that protesters were tear gassed outside the White House.

The campaign cited claims from the U.S. Park Police that tear gas was not used, only smoke and pepper balls — which is still disputed by journalists who were on the scene.

The campaign further asserted that a stash of blunt objects was discovered in the vicinity of the protest, and therefore the protest could not be described as "peaceful" — even though reporters did not see any acts of violence from the crowd prompting the police and military to clear the area.

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Protesters in Lafayette Park hit with gas for second night in a row: report

Published

on

On Tuesday, with just minutes before the D.C. curfew was scheduled to take effect, protesters gathered in Lafayette Park, piling up against the White House fence.

According to reporters, tear gas was released for the second night in a row — hitting some of the demonstrators.

It’s 25 minutes to curfew, and protestors are bracing for it. There’s an 8-foot fence around Lafayette Park. Most of the police are inside. Some DHS FPS are on Vermont Ave. Some DC Police are up on K. pic.twitter.com/CgOobT334H

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Protesters march on mayor’s mansion in NYC as criticism grows against Bill de Blasio

Published

on

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio has been highly criticized for his response to the protests against police violence.

The mayor has been criticized by protesters and the press for violence inflicted by the New York Police Department.

President Donald Trump has repeatedly blasted the city's response.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1267835873405665282

Meanwhile, Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D-NY) also criticized the mayor, for not doing his job.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1267893962918035456

Here are some of the scenes of protesters marching on Gracie Mansion, the official residence of the mayor of NYC. Built in 1799, NYPD is trying to protect the building.

Continue Reading
 
 
You need honest news coverage. Help us deliver it. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free.
close-image