Bill O’Reilly threatens New York Times reporter while defending Argentina story
Fox News host Bill O’Reilly threatened a New York Times reporter covering the questions plaguing his account of reporting in Argentina following the Falklands War.
According to the Times, the remark came during a phone interview regarding the controversy:
During a phone conversation, he told a reporter for The New York Times that there would be repercussions if he felt any of the reporter’s coverage was inappropriate. “I am coming after you with everything I have,” Mr. O’Reilly said. “You can take it as a threat.”
The story was published following O’Reilly’s latest defense of his version of his experiences in Buenos Aires while working for CBS News after the war ended in June 1982.
On Monday, he showed footage CBS aired showing armed police in the street following Argentina’s surrender to England and the end of the conflict. O’Reilly has said that authorities shot and killed citizens amid the unrest, a claim which has not been reported by any other agency.
The CBS correspondents featured in the footage, Erik Engberg and Charles Gomez, have questioned O’Reilly’s account of the incident. Engberg accused the Factor host on Sunday of exaggerating his experiences, while Gomez told the Times, “I do remember that there was tension between the authorities and the crowd,” but that he “did not see any bloodshed.”
Gomez also took issue with O’Reilly’s description of Buenos Aires as a “war zone” in public statements over the years.
“What was happening on the Falkland Islands was a war zone,” Gomez said. “What was happening in Buenos Aires was unrest.”
Both Mother Jones and The Guardian have highlighted apparent discrepancies in O’Reilly’s story. But the Fox host has accused critics of trumping up accusations against him in order for him to be taken off the air like NBC News anchor Brian Williams was earlier this month.