Quantcast
Connect with us

Duggar sisters and mom appear on TLC special about sex abuse: ‘It shouldn’t be a taboo subject’

Published

on

Two of Josh Duggar’s molestation victims and their mother took part in a television special on sexual abuse on the same network that canceled their popular reality show.

Jessa Seewald and Jill Dillard, who admitted in May during a Fox News interview that their brother had molested them, appeared Sunday night, along with their mother, Michelle Duggar, on TLC’s “Breaking the Silence.”

ADVERTISEMENT

“I was so glad that my girls and I were able to do this together and that we could just be a support and encouragement to each other to be able to gain more information about this important topic,” Michelle Duggar said.

The 27-year-old Josh Duggar, who resigned from his job with the anti-LGBT Family Research Council after the decade-old sex abuse revelations were reported, entered a long-term rehabilitation facility last week after admitting to cheating on his wife.

TLC pulled the family’s “19 Kids and Counting” from its schedule after the sex abuse and Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar’s response was reported.

“It’s amazing to understand that there are so many people that deal with this exact same thing in their own families,” said the 24-year-old Dillard. “So just being educated is very good.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Her younger sister agreed that families should discuss sex abuse.

“I feel like this should be a discussion people are having, even regularly,” said the 22-year-old Seewald. “I think that it shouldn’t be a taboo subject, that we should be bringing awareness to child sexual abuse and talking about this.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Seewald, who is expecting her first child in November, said the televised seminar had taught her “things I can do to be more aware, things I can do to set up boundaries and safeguards for my child and children, hopefully, in the future.”

Other sex abuse survivors, including actress Teri Hatcher, shared their own stories during the one-hour program, which was conducted with help from RAINN (Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network) and and the abuse prevention group Darkness to Light.

The Duggars have reportedly pitched a spinoff from the program that would show them providing Christian counseling to victims of childhood sex abuse.

ADVERTISEMENT

Watch this video about a sexual abuse prevention law from the “Breaking the Silence” program:

Enjoy this piece?

… then let us make a small request. Like you, we here at Raw Story believe in the power of progressive journalism — and we’re investing in investigative reporting as other publications give it the ax. Raw Story readers power David Cay Johnston’s DCReport, which we've expanded to keep watch in Washington. We’ve exposed billionaire tax evasion and uncovered White House efforts to poison our water. We’ve revealed financial scams that prey on veterans, and legal efforts to harm workers exploited by abusive bosses. We’ve launched a weekly podcast, “We’ve Got Issues,” focused on issues, not tweets. And unlike other news outlets, we’ve decided to make our original content free. But we need your support to do what we do.

Raw Story is independent. You won’t find mainstream media bias here. We’re not part of a conglomerate, or a project of venture capital bros. From unflinching coverage of racism, to revealing efforts to erode our rights, Raw Story will continue to expose hypocrisy and harm. Unhinged from billionaires and corporate overlords, we fight to ensure no one is forgotten.

We need your support to keep producing quality journalism and deepen our investigative reporting. Every reader contribution, whatever the amount, makes a tremendous difference. Invest with us in the future. Make a one-time contribution to Raw Story Investigates, or click here to become a subscriber. Thank you. Click to donate by check.

Enjoy this piece?

… then let us make a small request. Like you, we here at Raw Story believe in the power of progressive journalism — and we’re investing in investigative reporting as other publications give it the ax. Raw Story readers power David Cay Johnston’s DCReport, which we've expanded to keep watch in Washington. We’ve exposed billionaire tax evasion and uncovered White House efforts to poison our water. We’ve revealed financial scams that prey on veterans, and efforts to harm workers exploited by abusive bosses. We’ve launched a weekly podcast, “We’ve Got Issues,” focused on issues, not tweets. Unlike other news sites, we’ve decided to make our original content free. But we need your support to do what we do.

Raw Story is independent. You won’t find mainstream media bias here. We’re not part of a conglomerate, or a project of venture capital bros. From unflinching coverage of racism, to revealing efforts to erode our rights, Raw Story will continue to expose hypocrisy and harm. Unhinged from corporate overlords, we fight to ensure no one is forgotten.

We need your support to keep producing quality journalism and deepen our investigative reporting. Every reader contribution, whatever the amount, makes a tremendous difference. Invest with us in the future. Make a one-time contribution to Raw Story Investigates, or click here to become a subscriber. Thank you.



Report typos and corrections to: [email protected]. Send news tips to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

NYPD finally fires cop who killed Eric Garner

Published

on

The New York Police Department announced on Monday that it was firing Daniel Pantaleo, the police officer who killed Eric Garner by placing him in a choke hold in 2014.

James O'Neill, the Commissioner of the New York City Police Department, made the announcement of Pantaleo's firing during a Monday afternoon press conference in which he recounted the actions taken by the former NYPD officer five years ago.

Although O'Neill did not believe that Pantaleo intended to grievously harm Garner while he was resisting arrest, he said that there was no reason for the officer to continue keeping Garner in a choke hold while he was on the ground and complaining that he was having difficulty breathing.

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Trump tweets out bonkers conspiracy theory that Google ‘manipulated’ up to 16 million votes for Hillary Clinton

Published

on

President Donald Trump on Monday tweeted out a bonkers conspiracy theory claiming that Google "manipulated" up to 16 million votes on behalf of former Democratic rival during the 2016 presidential election.

"Wow, Report Just Out!" the president wrote. "Google manipulated from 2.6 million to 16 million votes for Hillary Clinton in 2016 Election! This was put out by a Clinton supporter, not a Trump Supporter! Google should be sued. My victory was even bigger than thought!"

Wow, Report Just Out! Google manipulated from 2.6 million to 16 million votes for Hillary Clinton in 2016 Election! This was put out by a Clinton supporter, not a Trump Supporter! Google should be sued. My victory was even bigger than thought! @JudicialWatch

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Trump’s economic adviser doesn’t see a recession coming — but he said the same thing in 2008

Published

on

President Donald Trump's chief economic adviser insists there are no signs of a recession on the horizon -- but he's been staggeringly wrong before.

Larry Kudlow went on NBC's "Meet the Press" over the weekend to assure viewers that no economic downturn was coming, but the Washington Post's Aaron Blake pointed out that his track record for predictions was pitiful.

“Well, I’ll tell you what: I sure don’t see a recession,” Kudlow told host Chuck Todd. “So I think actually the second half, the economy’s going to be very good in 2019.”

Continue Reading
 
 

Thank you for whitelisting Raw Story!

As a special thank you, from now until August 31st, we're offering you a discounted rate of $5.99/month to subscribe and get ad-free access. We're honored to have you as a reader. Thank you. :) —Elias, Membership Coordinator
LEARN MORE
close-link
close-image