Quantcast
Connect with us

Oklahoma mayor shrugs off husband’s staged KKK rally as just a Halloween ‘prank gone bad’

Published

on

The husband of an Oklahoma mayor won’t likely face any charges after dressing up in a Ku Klux Klan uniform and possibly burning a cross in a Halloween “prank gone bad.”

Garfield County sheriff’s deputies were called about 10:30 p.m. Saturday after a woman reported seeing a group of men wearing white robes and hoods burning a backyard bonfire, reported the Enid News.

ADVERTISEMENT

Deputies told the woman there wasn’t much they could do about the men and their display.

“(We) tried to explain to the woman that although in poor taste, the Constitution protects freedom of speech and that we can’t make them stop,” said Deputy Aaron Moore in his incident report. “This further irritated the woman.”

The deputies went to speak with the men and found 47-year-old Cary Sharp, whose wife is the mayor of Lahoma, and two other men wearing white, KKK-style robes and burning a fire near a cross — although authorities said the cross was never actually burned.

“I advised the group why I was there, and that although I know it was a joke that they save them and myself anymore headaches to not burn anymore crosses,” Moore said in the report.

ADVERTISEMENT

Sharp said he and some friends were drinking alcohol when they decided it might be funny to cut holes in some sheets and dress up like members of the notorious hate group.

“Sit around the bonfire and drink a couple of beers and thought, well my buddy — his last name is White — and the subject got brung (sic) up,” Sharp said. “We just thought it’d be something to do, and it’s not something to do. I am embarrassed. I’ve shamed my family and friends, and I apologize for that.”

Mayor Theresa Sharp pointed out that she was not present when her husband wore the costume or took part in the bonfire burning — which she described as a “prank gone bad.”

ADVERTISEMENT

“I was out trick-or-treating with my son, and I in no way support the activities that occurred,” she said.

“I just don’t condone it regardless of who it is — whether it’s my husband or Joe Smith around the corner,” the mayor added. “It’s not anything that I think needs to be represented for our community at all.”

A photo of the men, showing what appeared to be a burning cross, circulated on social media — although Cary Sharp claimed the image was misleading.

ADVERTISEMENT

“There was no cross that burned,” he said. “It was held behind the fire to look like it was burning, but there was no fire. The pictures we’ve seen claimed they were burning one, but there was not one burnt.”

The woman who reported the incident said that didn’t matter because children and others out enjoying Halloween likely saw the robed men burning what appeared to be a cross.

“We are a small community, and in no way do I feel this represents our views as a whole,” said Misty Meister, who called police. “It is upsetting due to the fact that we live in a community with families of different ethnic backgrounds, and this is a symbol of hate and intolerance.”

ADVERTISEMENT

The sheriff said the men had not broken any laws, and he said they took off their robes and put out the bonfire when deputies asked.

Although the men are unlikely to face any charges, the sheriff said the incident report had been handed over to the district attorney’s office for review.

“It was done in very, very poor taste,” said Sheriff Jerry Niles. “It brings up bad images of things that 99.9 percent of Americans, especially Oklahomans, are adamantly against. We’re all Americans, born and raised here, and we have a responsibility to honor the Constitution and the rights of others and feelings of others.”

Cary Sharp, however, doesn’t understand why anyone is upset by what he describes as a joke.

ADVERTISEMENT

“This is ridiculous, really,” he said. “It was a Halloween night.”

Watch this video report posted online by KWTV-TV:

News9.com – Oklahoma City, OK – News, Weather, Video and Sports |


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Here are the two Trump claims that the Pentagon chief refused to vouch for

Published

on

The White House meeting Wednesday afternoon didn't go well for either party, according to their counterparts. Both sides are dishing on details, including a Democratic aide who said that there were two of President Donald Trump's claims that his own Pentagon chief wouldn't vouch for.

At the onset of the meeting, Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-NY) began by reading a quote from Gen. James Mattis, who briefly served in Trump's administration.

"But POTUS cut Schumer off," reported PBS News correspondent Lisa Desjardins. Trump then "said that Gen Mattis was: 'the world’s most overrated general. You know why? He wasn’t tough enough. I captured ISIS. Mattis said it would take 2 yrs. I captured them in 1 month."

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Former Clinton lawyer scolds Trump’s White House counsel on impeachment: ‘we never considered’ behaving this way

Published

on

On Tuesday, Lanny Breuer, a special counsel who worked for President Bill Clinton's White House, wrote an open letter in the Washington Post to President Donald Trump's White House Counsel Pat Cipollone — telling him that, while he understands an impeachment is a horrible thing for an administration to go through, Clinton and his lawyers would never have behaved the way Trump is now.

"In 1998, we felt under siege," wrote Breuer. "We argued at the time, as you do in your letter, that Congress should provide additional procedural protections to the president ... For example, instead of conducting its own investigation, the committee relied almost exclusively on [independent counsel Ken] Starr’s report, which had serious flaws. The House took only three months to adopt articles of impeachment, and we had only two days to present our witnesses. The president’s personal lawyer, David Kendall, had only 30 minutes to question Starr. We felt this was deeply unfair and a derogation of the House’s constitutional duty to investigate thoroughly whether impeachment was warranted."

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

White House leaked ‘insane letter’ to Fox host — that makes Trump look ridiculously ‘dumb’

Published

on

President Donald Trump was ridiculed on Wednesday after a letter was leaked that President Donald Trump sent to Turkish President Recep Erdo?an.

The letter was sent a week ago, on October 9th.

A copy of the letter, where Trump warned Erdo?an not to be a fool, was obtained by Fox Business personality Trish Regan.

https://twitter.com/trish_regan/status/1184559361638748161

Commentary on the letter was swift -- and brutal.

Here's some of what people were saying:

https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/1184570895043571713

Can’t tell if parody of dumb guy trying to cover his tracks or real dumb guy who is covering tracks

Continue Reading
 
 
Help Raw Story Uncover Injustice. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1 and go ad-free.
close-image