Quantcast
Connect with us

George Takei blasts ’failure’ Donald Trump’s Muslim plan: ‘We don’t know our history’

Published

on

George Takei (MSNBC)

Actor and social media star George Takei blasted Donald Trump’s proposal to ban Muslims, saying the Republican frontrunner’s proposal was very much like the Japanese internment camp he was forced into as a child.

“What Donald Trump is talking about is something that’s going to make his logo ‘America disgraced again,’” Takei said Tuesday on “MSNBC Live with Thomas Roberts.” “It’s all over again, we don’t know our history, and when we don’t know that, we don’t learn the lesson from our history.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Takei was imprisoned as a 5-year-old with his parents at an internment camp in Arkansas during World War II, and he disagreed with Trump’s claim that his anti-Muslim proposal was “a whole different thing.”

“It’s ironic that he made that comment on Dec. 7, Pearl Harbor Day — the very event that put us in those internment camps,” Takei said.

The former “Star Trek” star said Trump was fanning the same flames that engulfed the U.S. after the Japanese attack 74 years ago.

“(A congressional investigation) found that it was three things that brought (those camps) about,” Takei said. “One was racial hysteria, second was war hysteria and third was failure of political leadership. Donald Trump is the perfect example of that failure.”

Trump has extended his ban to include even Muslim-American citizens who are traveling abroad, and Takei said he had been a victim of that type of discrimination as a boy.

ADVERTISEMENT

“It was because political leadership could not educate the hysteria that was sweeping across this country,” he said. “‘Get rid of the Japs’ was the most popular political issue of the time, and they didn’t recognize the fact that 2/3 of us were American citizens. My mother was born in Sacramento, my father was a San Franciscan — we were children then, but we were born in Los Angeles. We were Americans, and yet they thought that we had an organic, genetic loyalty to the emperor (of Japan), and so we were all imprisoned with no charges. It was a most unconstitutional act, and President Ronald Reagan in 1988 apologized for that and pledged a $20,000 redress — a token redress, but nevertheless, America apologized for it.”

Watch the entire segment posted online by MSNBC:

ADVERTISEMENT


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

2020 Election

‘This is going to be a blowout’: Morning Joe throws devastating new Fox News polls in Trump’s face

Published

on

MSNBC's Joe Scarborough kicked off Friday morning by listing off a collection of new polls that shows Donald Trump is headed to defeat in November, adding that the presidential election is looking like it will be a blowout favoring Democratic challenger Joe Biden.

Speaking with "Morning Joe" co-host Willy Geist, Scarborough appeared almost giddy as he read off the latest numbers showing the president still has not turned his floundering campaign around.

"Joe Biden has pulled ahead in Wisconsin in some polls 7, 8 points," Scarborough began. "So the states everybody has been talking about, Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and really Ohio wasn't a part of this. Ohio and Iowa comfortably fell in Donald Trump's campaign, but all five of those states across the upper Midwest have obviously been part of the heartland battle."

Continue Reading

2020 Election

‘Trump will use every tool to cheat’: Dems prepare for Trump refusing to leave the White House

Published

on

Democrats say they are taking President Donald Trump's refusal to guarantee a peaceful transition of power very seriously.

In interviews with Politico, Democratic operatives and politicians say they are preparing legal and political strategies to stop the president from trying to steal the 2020 election even if vote counts show that he's been decisively defeated.

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Experts: Lawsuit heading to Supreme Court would lead to ‘massive’ transfer of wealth from middle-class to richest Americans

Published

on

The Republican lawsuit that seeks to strike down the Affordable Care Act would save the richest one-tenth of 1 percent of Americans an average of $198,000 per year, according to an analysis by the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities.

The case, which was initiated by 18 state attorneys general and backed by the Trump administration, is scheduled to be heard by the Supreme Court a week after the November election. A Texas judge ruled in 2018 that the entire Obamacare law was unconstitutional, after the Republican-led Congress eliminated the individual mandate penalty in its 2017 tax bill and an appeals court then sent the case back for the judge to decide whether the entire law needed to be struck down.

Continue Reading
 
 
Democracy is in peril. Invest in progressive news. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free. LEARN MORE