Black Lives Matter co-founder Alicia Garza came out strongly in an interview with MSNBC’s Chris Hayes against Thursday night’s murders of police officers in Dallas, and pointed out the movement seeks accountability and transparency in policing and has never called for violence.
Protesters had peacefully demonstrated Thursday against the police shootings this week that killed Alton Sterling and Philando Castile in Louisiana and Minnesota, respectively. A gunman opened fire and killed five police officers and wounded others, along with a civilian, as the protest was winding down.
“Black Lives Matter has never, ever called for the murder of police officers,” Garza said in the Friday interview. “What we have said over and over again is that it is time in this country for policing to be accountable, transparent and responsible. That’s not rhetoric. That is what communities in the United States want to see from the people who protect and serve them.”
She added, “And so quite frankly, we can, at the same time as we grieve the loss of life of several officers who were killed last night, we can also push to demand that there be accountable, responsive, transparent policing that has oversight form communities and that is accountable to the communities they are supposed to protect and serve.”
Garza responded with concern to rhetoric from the “far right” that has labeled the movement as violent and “terrorists.” She added she feared that fear from Thursday night’s attack could fuel clamping down on people’s civil liberties as they protest against police killings. Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick also leveled blame at the activists, even though shooter Micah Johnson did not have ties to the group.
“We are not anti-police,” she said. “We are anti-our people being murdered in the streets. What happened to Alton Sterling, what happened to Philando, what happens to so many black people in our communities is absolutely unacceptable, and I think that’s something that we can all agree on.”
Watch the interview, as posted online, here:
Hope Hicks told Congress that Trump has cut her out of his life — he virtually never calls her anymore
Former White House Communications Director Hope Hicks was broadly considered to be one of President Donald Trump's favorite staffers.
But when she left the administration in 2018, the president virtually cut off ties to her, and has only spoken with her five times since then, according to the transcript of the closed-door hearing in the House Judiciary Committee on Wednesday:
In her interview, Hope Hicks says she has only spoken to Trump between five and ten times since she left the White House in February 2018. (He used to call that much in a day.) They last spoke in April, when they had dinner. Our story from yesterday:https://t.co/3gzVY21c3z pic.twitter.com/VMZqhnbgib
Hope Hicks called Trump’s plan for Jeff Sessions ‘odd’ — but White House lawyers blocked her from elaborating why
By all accounts, ex-White House Communications Director Hope Hicks was not particularly forthcoming in her interview with the House Judiciary Committee — but according to the 273-page transcript of the closed-door hearing released on Thursday, she did begin to discuss a key point at which President Donald Trump potentially obstructed justice — until White House lawyers sitting with her intervened.
CNN's Manu Raju explained the details to Wolf Blitzer on "The Situation Room."
"She did answer some questions about her time in the campaign season, and at one point did make one reference to something that later became a dispute," said Raju. "She was asked about the details in the Mueller report in which the president tried to get Jeff Sessions, the then-Attorney General, to un-recuse himself, to go back and oversee the Russia investigation after he had stepped aside from overseeing it."
Elections regulator warns foreign intrusion into US campaigns is already happening
In a letter to the Senate Judiciary Committee, the Federal Elections Commission is warning that there is already foreign intrusion in the U.S. campaigns.
FEC chair Ellen L. Weintraub was forced to issue a statement after President Donald Trump said that he wasn't sure what he would do if a foreign government approached him with "dirt" on his political opponent. He said that he "might" tell the FBI but would likely hear what they had to say. He said that it wasn't illegal, but Weintraub issued a statement reiterating that it is illegal.
"I am particularly concerned about the risk of illicit funds and foreign support influencing our political system. Foreign dark money represents a significant vulnerability for American democracy. We do not know the extent to which our political campaigns receive foreign dark money, but we do know that the political money can be weaponized by well-funded hostile powers," the letter warned.