Quantcast
Connect with us

Russian hackers ‘compromised’ top political and media figures with blackmail, cyber experts warn

Published

on

Hundreds of top government officials and media personalities might have been compromised in a blackmail scheme orchestrated by Russian hackers as part of the broader effort to undermine American democracy.

The cybersecurity firm Trend Micro warned the FBI and director of national intelligence in May and June 2015 that Kremlin hackers had targeted more than 2,300 influential political leaders, media members and their spouses in a sophisticated attack, reported Politico.

ADVERTISEMENT

It’s not clear whether government investigators acted on the tip, but that firm’s chief cybersecurity officer at the time believes the attack was successfully carried out.

Tom Kellermann, the former Trend Micro official, notified U.S. law enforcement and intelligence officials two years ago that Russian-backed hackers were able to turn on microphones and cameras on their targets’ personal devices to gain sensitive information about their personal lives.

The cybersecurity expert believes that campaign had successfully compromised some influential political and media figures.

“When you wonder why certain people act certain ways, you have to remember these people have been warned that their dirty laundry could be aired,” said Kellermann, now CEO of Strategic Cyber Ventures.

That operation’s success, along with election meddling and ongoing propaganda efforts, has emboldened the Kremlin to attempt additional active measures to subvert U.S. democracy, Kellermann said.

ADVERTISEMENT

He pointed to the Shadow Brokers, a hacking group with apparent Kremlin ties that has been posting data stolen data from the NSA since last summer, and most recently in April.

Emails hacked from the DNC and Hillary Clinton’s campaign chairman are blamed for softening voters enthusiasm for the Democratic candidate, and both Congress and law enforcement are investigating whether the Trump campaign coordinated with Russian agents to politicize the stolen data.

But the RNC was also hacked last year, although data stolen from state-level Republican officials and posted on DCLinks hasn’t gained as much attention as the DNC emails.

ADVERTISEMENT

Some cybersecurity experts have speculated that Russian hackers stole additional RNC data but are holding onto it for blackmail purposes.

“It would be naive [for Republicans] to think they weren’t targeted,” said Michael Buratowski, senior vice president at Fidelis Cybersecurity, which investigated the hack of the DNC.

ADVERTISEMENT


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Ukraine begged Trump to raise issue of their captive sailors with Putin — he didn’t and Russia state TV gloated

Published

on

The ongoing impeachment inquiry into President Donald Trump is being painted by Congress and the press against the backdrop of the ongoing war between Russia and the Ukraine.

As more and more sworn deposition transcripts are released, researchers are able to link up the testimony of events with real-time reactions, giving us a remarkable insight into the implications of foreign policy decisions.

Investigative journalist Julia Davis flagged one key part of testimony in the transcript released of the deposition by Ukraine embassy political officer David Holmes.

The transcript reveals Rep. Adam Schiff (D-CA), the former federal prosecutor who chairs the House Intelligence Committee, interviewing Holmes about Ukraine's desperation to set up a meeting with Trump.

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

‘Something nefarious going on’: Obama deputy chief of staff doesn’t buy White House claims on Trump’s health

Published

on

The deputy chief of staff for operations in the Obama administration broke down on Monday why the White House claims on President Donald Trump's surprise Saturday visit to Walter Reed Hospital.

Jim Messina, who also was the campaign manager for Barack Obama's 2012 re-election campaign, was interviewed Monday on MSNBC's "The Last Word" by anchor Lawrence O'Donnell.

O'Donnell noted the note the White House physician sent to White House press secretary Stephanie Grisham:

[caption id="attachment_1563602" align="aligncenter" width="800"] Memorandum from Dr. Sean Conley to Stephanie Grisham.[/caption]

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Trump doctor denies the president underwent any ‘neurologic evaluations’ at Walter Reed Hospital

Published

on

The physician to the president claimed that President Donald Trump did not undergo "neurologic" evaluations during a surprise visit to Walter Reed Hospital.

White House press secretary Stephanie Grisham released a picture of a memorandum from Dr. Sean Conley, which was printed on "Office of the Press Secretary" letterhead.

The memo was sent to Grisham.

On Saturday, Grisham had claimed the purpose of the visit was to conduct a "partial" physical. Dr. Conley referred to the visit as an "interim check up."

Continue Reading
 
 
Help Raw Story Uncover Injustice. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1 and go ad-free.
close-image