Quantcast
Connect with us

Investigators probing whether someone else was staying in Las Vegas gunman’s suite

Published

on

Investigators in Las Vegas are combing through evidence to determine whether another person was staying with the gunman, Stephen Paddock, who carried out the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history on Sunday.

NBC News reports investigators have found a phone charger that does not match any of the cellphones owned by Paddock. They also one of his key cards was used to get into his room during a period when his car had left the parking garage.

ADVERTISEMENT

The report comes as multiple outlets reported Thursday investigators are looking for a woman they say accompanied Paddock in the days leading up to the shooting.

“I want to emphasize we believe Paddock is solely responsible for this heinous act,” Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department Asst. Sheriff Todd Fasulo said Thursday. “We are aware of the rumors outside of the media and also on social media that there was more than one assailant. We have no information or evidence to support that theory, or that rumor. We believe there was only one shooter and that was Stephen Paddock.”

Still, in a press conference on Wednesday, Clark County Sheriff Joe Lombardo told reporters investigators are operating under the assumption Paddock was assistant by someone.

“On face value, you have to make the assumption that he had to have some help at some point,” Lombardo said. “And we want to ensure that that’s the answer.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Paddock on Sunday killed 58 innocent people at the Route 91 festival on the Las Vegas strip. The Las Vegas Review-Journal on Tuesday reported he also shot up two aviation fuel tanks during the roughly 9-minute assault, and may have planned subsequent attacks. Paddock reportedly booked a hotel room overlooking the Chicago musical festival Lollapalooza, and had previously scouted sites in Boston.


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

US ‘lies’ slammed after Mike Pompeo blames Iran for drone attacks without proof

Published

on

Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Abbas Mousavi forcefully rejected Sunday unsubstantiated charges by by US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and US Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) regarding the recent drone attacks that caused serious damage to two crucial Saudi Arabian oil installations.

“It has been around 5 years that the Saudi-led coalition has kept the flames of war alive in the region by repeatedly launching aggression against Yemen and committing different types of war crimes, and the Yemenis have also shown that they are standing up to war and aggression,” Seyyed Abbas Mousavi said in a statement.

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Why are college students so stressed out? It’s not because they’re ‘snowflakes’

Published

on

Across the country, college classes are well underway, the excitement of the start of the year is waning and student stress is on the rise. Frantic calls home and panicked visits to student health services will start to dramatically increase. And before long, parents and observers will start wondering what is wrong with these kids. Why can’t they handle the pressures of college and just pull it together?

College student stress is nothing new. Anxieties over homesickness, social pressures, challenging course loads and more have been a common feature of the U.S. college experience for decades. But, without question, student stress levels and psychological distress are measurably worse than before. According to a national study published earlier this year in the Journal of Abnormal Psychology, major depression among young adults (18-25) rose 63 percent between 2009 and 2017. They also report that the rate of young adults with suicidal thoughts or other suicide-related outcomes increased 47 percent from 2008 to 2017.

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Kaiser healthcare workers plan for nation’s largest strike since 1997

Published

on

More than 80,000 Kaiser Permanente emergency medical technicians, nurses, respiratory therapists and other staffers are threatening to walk out of work next month, in what could be the nation's largest strike since 1997.

The authorization to strike, approved by 98% of the union members who voted, does not mean a walk out will happen, but it does allow union leaders to call one as early as Oct. 1, giving them leverage ahead of negotiations with the California-based health care giant. Kaiser Permanente, comprised of 39 hospitals and nearly 700 medical officers, serves more than 12 million members in seven states across the country.

Continue Reading
 
 
Help Raw Story Uncover Injustice. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free.
close-image