Quantcast
Connect with us

FBI to investigate mysterious $30 million in ‘missing’ funds from Oklahoma Department of Health

Published

on

Somehow, $30 million disappeared from the Oklahoma Department of Public Health. The news comes at a time when the Oklahoma legislature hasn’t been able to pass a budget to account for a nearly $900 million budget hole.

The state has seen a string of resignations over the last month since the news broke about the “accounting tricks” used to give the illusion of a balanced budget, said interim director Preston Doerflinger. Tuesday, the FBI announced that it would be investigating the department and those involved in making the decisions that led to the disappearance, the Tulsa World reported.

ADVERTISEMENT

“I appreciate the collaboration of the FBI and HHS in insuring that we can conduct a thorough and exacting review of the situation at OSDH,” Attorney General Mike Hunter said in a statement. “We will get to the bottom of what happened there.”

In wake of the announcement of the “error,” the Department of Health asked the legislature to give them the $30 million so they could continue to lay off staff and pay existing vendor contracts.

Gov. Mary Fallin’s (R) top staffers were subpoenaed to testify before a state House committee for their investigation. However, Republican state Rep. Josh Cockroft explained his committee’s investigation isn’t criminal in nature. A multicounty grand jury has also been called.

According to Oklahoma Watch, there were watchdogs in place who should have caught the error.

“The State Auditor and Inspector’s Office does operational audits, performance audits and investigative audits on state agencies, cities, boards, councils and commissions. Many are aggressive and detailed,” the report read.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Office of Management similarly has budget analysts and a state comptroller who monitor the department. The State Board of Health also has a finance committee, which oversees all of the department’s budget decisions.

None caught the $30 million missing from funds that stacked up over time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

ABC News had the goods on Jeffrey Epstein years ago — and killed the story

Published

on

By

Multimillionaire predator Jeffrey Epstein died in suspicious circumstances at a Manhattan correctional facility on Aug. 10. The wealthy and powerful New York financier, a convicted sex offender, stands accused by dozens of women and girls of trafficking, rape and sexual abuse. He was an enormously influential and well-connected man who counted as friends billionaire business ownersHollywood starsBritish royals, and even top media figures like Katie Couric and Charlie Rose — with some of his associates falling under suspicion of condoning or even participating in a pedophile ring.

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Child killed as quake strikes southern Philippines

Published

on

A powerful earthquake hit the southern Philippine island of Mindanao on Sunday, killing a child, injuring dozens and damaging buildings in an area still recovering from a string of deadly quakes in October.

Police said a rescue operation had been launched at a heavily damaged market building in Padada near the 6.8 magnitude quake's epicentre, which is about 90 kilometres (55 miles) south of the major city of Davao.

Patients were evacuated from hospitals as a precaution and nervous crowds massed outside shopping malls after the jolt and dozens of smaller, but strong aftershocks.

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

50 bodies unearthed from Mexican mass grave

Published

on

The bodies of at least 50 people have been unearthed from a mass grave at a farm outside Mexico's western city of Guadalajara, local authorities said.

The grim site was discovered just over three weeks ago in Jalisco -- a state hard-hit by violence linked to organized crime.

The local prosecutor's office said Saturday 13 of the dead -- 12 men and a woman -- have been identified and the remains given to their families.

The process of identifying more of the victims and how they died will continue, it added.

A mass grave with 34 bodies was discovered in a suburb of Guadalajara on September 3, while another was found nearby in May with the remains of 30 people.

Continue Reading