Kellyanne Conway launched a new defense of embattled Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh — who she complained was being forced to shoulder the burden of countless rape claims as part of the #MeToo movement.
The White House adviser insisted to CBS News that President Donald Trump takes sexual assault allegations by Christine Blasey Ford seriously, despite his Friday tweet questioning her credibility.
I have no doubt that, if the attack on Dr. Ford was as bad as she says, charges would have been immediately filed with local Law Enforcement Authorities by either her or her loving parents. I ask that she bring those filings forward so that we can learn date, time, and place!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) September 21, 2018
“You’re looking at one tweet,” Conway said. “Look at everything he said last week, be fair to him. This president is defending his nominee to the United States Supreme Court, that nominee needs to defend himself against these allegations.”
She said the nominee’s denials should be accepted at face value.
“Why does it not matter to anyone that Judge Kavanaugh has said these allegations are false?” Conway said. “He thinks the latest ones show a pattern of a smear campaign against him, and he has said from the beginning that he wasn’t at the party in question 36 years ago in Maryland. All that has to matter.”
Conway said the president agreed with the Republican majority on the Senate Judiciary Committee, which wants to pit Ford and Kavanaugh’s testimony against each other without hearing from additional witnesses.
Then she said Kavanaugh is being held up as a sacrifice to the #MeToo movement.
“This president wants them both to testify in the Senate Judiciary Committee, set up a process where they both can,” Conway said. “I don’t think one man’s shoulders should bear decades of the #MeToo movement.”
— Norah O'Donnell🇺🇸 (@NorahODonnell) September 24, 2018