Quantcast
Connect with us

US goverment believes Chinese intelligence is behind the Marriott hack

Published

on

The United States said Wednesday that China was behind the massive hack of data from hotel giant Marriott, part of an ongoing global campaign of cyber-theft run by Beijing.

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo confirmed to Fox News’ “Fox & Friends” program that the government believes China masterminded the Marriott data theft.

“They have committed cyber attacks across the world,” he told the show.

ADVERTISEMENT

“We consider them a strategic competitor. They are taking actions in the South China Sea. They’re conducting espionage and influence operations here in the United States,” he said.

The Marriott hacking allegation came amid heightened tensions between Beijing and Washington that encompass geopolitics, trade, technology rivalry and espionage.

Last week Canada arrested an executive of China’s leading Huawei telecommunications company at the request of the United States, which plans to charge her with fraud charges related to sanctions-breaking business dealings with Iran.

China has responded in kind, detaining a former Canadian diplomat, Michael Kovrig, who is now a China expert at the International Crisis Group security consultancy.

Moreover, Washington is expected this week to unveil new charges against Chinese military and intelligence hackers as it seeks to counter what is seen as a broad-based, sustained cyber threat against US government and corporate targets from Beijing.

ADVERTISEMENT

On Wednesday, it also slapped a $2.8 million penalty on a Chinese energy company, Yantai Jereh Oilfield Services Group, for violating US sanctions by shipping US-made equipment to Iran.

– Data on 500 million customers –

The Marriott hackers, who stole detailed data on some 500 million customers of the world’s largest hotel company, are believed to have been working for China’s Ministry of State Security.

ADVERTISEMENT

Washington sees them as part of an espionage effort that has targeted health insurers and the US civil service employment database.

Marriott revealed on November 30 that cyber-thieves had been in the systems of its Starwood brand since 2014, which Marriott took over two years later.

ADVERTISEMENT

It uncovered the breach in September and the Federal Bureau of Investigation is understood to be investigating the matter.

In the past week, Marriott has sent out emails to customers who had used its systems alerting them that their data may have been stolen.

For more than 60 percent of the customers, the data stolen included passport information, addresses, their travel details, and credit card details.

ADVERTISEMENT

The company said that the credit card data was protected by two decryption components, but added: “at this point, Marriott has not been able to rule out the possibility that both were taken.”

Separately, a new report from computer security company McAfee said their researchers had uncovered a new global effort by hackers to infiltrate the computer systems of nuclear, defense, energy and financial companies.

“In October and November 2018, the Rising Sun implant has appeared in 87 organizations across the globe, predominantly in the United States,” the company said.

It said initial indications were that the hackers were North Korean, but also suggested the possibility that the identifiers in the malware that pointed to Pyongyang may have been a “false flag” to distract researchers from the true source.

ADVERTISEMENT


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Watch Trump’s ’jaw-dropping’ interview with Axios on HBO

Published

on

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Trump ridiculed for his late-night ‘OPEN THE SCHOOLS’ rant: ‘Eat your Big Mac and shut up’

Published

on

President Donald Trump demanded local school boards reopen schools during a late night tweet sent after 11 p.m. on Monday.

"OPEN THE SCHOOLS!!!" Trump demanded, in all capital letters with three exclamation marks.

The president was harshly criticized for his tweet, here's some of what people were saying:

Dear Stupid,

You can't even get your own son's school to open.

They have refused.

The school where your son Barron is being educated refuses to open because it's not safe.

Now sit there, eat your Big Mac, and shut up.

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Florida Democrats ask their own candidate to withdraw his candidacy after cocaine arrest: report

Published

on

Democrats in Florida are asking their own candidate to end his campaign for county commission after an arrest for DUI and cocaine.

"A Collier County commission candidate's arrest in East Naples this past weekend has prompted calls from his party to drop out of the race," the Naples Daily News reported Monday. "John Jenkins, 55, was booked into the Naples Jail Center Sunday morning and faces a felony charge of possession of cocaine, according to a Collier County Sheriff's Office arrest report. He was released later that day on $5,000 bond."

Continue Reading
 
 
You need honest news coverage. Help us deliver it. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free.
close-image