Quantcast
Connect with us

‘This is not Bundy Ranch’: Oregon miners beg militia nuts to stop threatening federal agents

Published

on

The owner of a southwestern Oregon mining claim embroiled in a land-use dispute with federal authorities asked militia groups Thursday afternoon to stop sending volunteers to back him against government agents.

“We don’t need any more volunteers, we’re not under attack, this is not the Bundy Ranch,” said Rick Barclay, co-owner of the Sugar Pine Mining Claim, told the Mail Tribune. “Please stop calling the BLM and threatening their personnel.”

The claim’s owners contacted the local Josephine County Oath Keepers chapter after the U.S. Bureau of Land Management ordered them to file a plan of operations for the gold mining activities or remove all their equipment by April 25.

BLM officials said they have no record of an active mining claim because claims are invalidated when they change hands, and the claim owners have 30 days to file their plans or appeal the decision.

Barclay said he and co-owner George Backes feared the BLM would remove or destroy their equipment before they had a chance to appear in court, so he contacted the pro-gun group made up of current and former law enforcement and military personnel.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Oath Keepers issued an action alert, which was shared across social media by militia groups and other like-minded organizations, and armed volunteers carrying survival gear began showing up anticipating a possible government showdown.

Some of the same groups and individuals who backed Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy in his armed dispute with the BLM set up a staging area on private property near the mining claim – creating what Barclay called a “circus.”

“What you’re seeing is mostly a spectacle caused by social media and ‘keyboard commandos’ whooping it up,” he said. “A lot of the stuff going around on social media is absolute bullsh*t.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Militia members, however, continue to call on social media for more volunteers to join them in Oregon, warning that the mine owner’s “stand-down” order was reported by untrustworthy “mainstream media” organizations.

“We need people, so get down here – and we need press,” said Blaine Cooper, an Arizona State Militia member who arrived earlier this week. “We need people to come in here, we’re going to give these people a fair shot, because it could mean their life.”

“The BLM is not to be trusted, as we have seen their track record is not good at all,” Cooper said in a Facebook video posted early Friday. “They have burned down people’s cabins out here, okay? So they’re tyrants – period, so we need your help, America.”

ADVERTISEMENT

The local Oath Keepers chapter is not discouraging additional volunteers from joining them, but they posted a message warning that the situation was “NOT a standoff with the BLM.”

“We are NOT promoting any confrontation with BLM,” the group said on its webpage. “This is a security operation for the protection of Constitutional Rights. If you have a different agenda outside of the above peaceful mission statement, we dont need your assistance. Please DO NOT make any type of threatening phone calls to the local BLM or USFS as it undermines our mission, professionalism and is unwarranted.”

One of Bundy’s supporters, 24-year-old Will Michael, pleaded guilty this week to making threatening phone calls to BLM agent Mike Rooper – who received at least 500 such calls from the rancher’s sympathizers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Watch a Facebook video posted by a militia member calling for additional volunteers:

ADVERTISEMENT

BREAKING! UPDATE! OREGON GRANTS PASS! WE NEED YOU! BLM! THERE HAS BEEN NO STAND DOWN ORDER GIVEN PLEASE COME AND HELP!http://oathkeepersjoco.com/ Pete Santilli Blaine Cooper Rob Chupp Rob Deatherage Elmer Williams

Posted by Blaine Cooper on Friday, April 17, 2015


Report typos and corrections to [email protected].

Send confidential news tips to [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Facebook

Watch Joy Reid’s epic correction of GOP strategist: ‘This is going to be a white nationalist reelection’

Published

on

President Donald Trump will continue to attack the four young women of color in Congress known as The Squad, MSNBC anchor Joy Reid predicted on Friday.

Trump has repeatedly used racist attacks to target the four, who are Representatives Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY), Ilhan Omar (D-MN), Ayanna Pressley (D-MA), and Rashida Tlaib (D-MI).

Host Steve Kornacki interviewed Republican strategist Noelle Nikpour about Trump's message.

"So Noelle, for Republicans, again the folks who were getting in touch with [Mike] Pence and saying 'make Trump stop doing this,' do they have to be ready now for the possibility Trump’s going to keep doing these rallies, he wants to run against these four congresswomen in particular, make them the face of the Democratic Party?" Kornacki asked. "If the crowd starts chanting again, 'send her back,' 'send them back,” doesn't stop, is this going to be a feature of Trump rallies from here through 2020?"

Continue Reading

Facebook

Trump hates women of color for birthing babies keeping him from ‘making America white again’: MSNBC analyst

Published

on

President Donald Trump's loathing of women of color is driven by the fact he hates the babies they birth, a Rutgers University professor argued on MSNBC on Friday.

"The Beat" anchor Ari Melber interviewed Prof. Brittney Cooper about Trump's racist attacks on four young women of color in Congress.

"Look, the thing that bothers me about Trump and his cronies is that they have a long history of attacking women of color, and it’s really important to say these comments are not just racist, they’re also deeply sexist," Cooper explained.

"They don't just attack people of color, they also specifically go after women of color," she continued.

Continue Reading
 

Facebook

Hope Hicks’ testimony ‘appears to be false’ — and Democrats have a plan to prove it: Judiciary member

Published

on

Former White House communications director Hope Hicks likely lied to Congress -- and Democrats have a plan to prove it, a Democrat on the House Judiciary said on MSNBC on Friday.

Anchor Peter Alexander interviewed Rep. Steve Cohen (D-TN) about potential perjury by Hicks, who was a close confidant of Trump during his campaign, transition, and administration.

"It has been several months since President Trump’s former fixer Michael Cohen testified that President Trump directed him to pay hush-money payments to adult film star Stephanie Clifford, also known as Stormy Daniels, but new documents muddy the waters a bit for former White House communications director Hope Hicks, who testified to the House Judiciary Committee that she had no knowledge of the payments before they were made," Alexander reported.

Continue Reading
 
 
 

Copyright © 2019 Raw Story Media, Inc. PO Box 21050, Washington, D.C. 20009 | Masthead | Privacy Policy | For corrections or concerns, please email [email protected]

Join Me. Try Raw Story Investigates for $1. Invest in Journalism. Escape Ads.
close-image