Quantcast
Connect with us

Trump floats immediate end to Muslim immigration until we ‘can figure out what is going on’

Published

on

Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump has gone beyond opposing the entry of Syrian refugees to wanting to stop all Muslims from emigrating into the US, NBC News reported.

Trump’s campaign said in a statement that he is calling for “a total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States until our country’s representatives can figure out what is going on.”

The campaign used a study by the conservative Center for Security Policy to argue that “there is great hatred towards Americans by large segments of the Muslim population.” The group, which is led by former Acting Assistant Secretary of Defense Frank Gaffney, and has claimed that there is a “global jihad movement” underway with the goal of installing “sharia law” around the world.

According to the statement, Gaffney’s organization released a study stating that 25 percent of respondents felt that “violence against Americans here in the United States is justified as a part of the global jihad.”

“Without looking at the various polling data, it is obvious to anybody the hatred is beyond comprehension. Where this hatred comes from and why we will have to determine,” Trump stated. “Until we are able to determine and understand this problem and the dangerous threat it poses, our country cannot be the victims of horrendous attacks by people that believe only in Jihad, and have no sense of reason or respect for human life.”

The statement does not mention that Gaffney hosted Trump and several other GOP candidates earlier this year for a “Tea Party Patriots” rally opposing the proposed nuclear weapons agreement between the US and Iran.

ADVERTISEMENT

Trump stated earlier this year that he would deport any Syrian refugees if elected president. Last month he drew criticism for refusing to dismiss the idea of special “databases” for American Muslims.

Update, 5:52 p.m. EST: A spokesperson for Trump’s campaign, Hope Hicks, heavily suggested to The Hill that his proposed immigration ban would also apply to American Muslims currently living outside the US.

“Mr. Trump says, ‘everyone,'” Hicks said via email.

Meanwhile, Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) immediately criticized Trump’s idea in a statement released on Tuesday evening.

“Demagogues throughout our history have attempted to divide us based on race, gender, sexual orientation or country of origin. Now, Trump and others want us to hate all Muslims,” the Democratic presidential candidate said. “The United States is a great nation when we stand together. We are a weak nation when we allow racism and xenophobia to divide us.”

Report typos and corrections to [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Prosecutors debunk right-wing conspiracy theory in new legal smackdown of Roger Stone

Published

on

Federal prosecutors debunked a conspiracy theory pushed by the far-right in a new legal brief filed on Thursday.

Longtine Donald Trump political advisor Roger Stone had argued federal investigators relied upon a report from the cyber research firm Crowdstrike to conclude that Russia had hacked the Democratic National Committee.

That contention, according to federal prosecutors, is "incorrect."

"While the prosecutors did not go into detail, they noted that the investigators gathered evidence of the Russians’ involvement independently, which led to the indictment last year of 12 Russian military officials in connection with the DNC hack," Politico reported.

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

‘Call the mall cops!’ Roy Moore roasted after saying he’ll make ‘more personal contact with people’ in Senate run

Published

on

Roy Moore, the far-right politician who infamously lost an Alabama Senate race in 2017 after allegations emerged about him molesting teenage girls, announced on Thursday that he was going to once again run for office in 2020.

While touting his potential rematch with Sen. Doug Jones (D-AL), Moore was asked by a reporter what he will do differently this time around.

"I would like to make more personal contact with people," Moore responded.

Given that Moore's history of "personal contact" with underage women was what cost him the 2017 Senate race -- and even allegedly got him banned from a shopping mall that grew weary of his regular efforts to pick up teen girls -- Moore was quickly buried in ridicule on Twitter.

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Longtime Ohio news anchor retires after dispute with Sinclair Broadcasting over forced pro-Trump commentaries

Published

on

Rob Braun, a fixture on local Cincinnati television for over 35 years, is retiring after stating it was "time to move on" because "I don't fit well with the Sinclair News model," reports WVXU.

The reports states that Braun -- the dean of Cincinnati's WKRC news broadcasting -- made the comments on his Facebook page and assured loyal fans that he was not fired by the conservative news organization.

In a Facebook post, he wrote: "I want you to know that I am not retiring. Ch 12 is NOT forcing me out. In fact, they offered me a generous contract. I am choosing to leave. There is no 'real story but .... Sometimes in life, you just know, it's time to move on. I don't feel I fit well with the Sinclair News model."

Continue Reading
 
 

Copyright © 2019 Raw Story Media, Inc. PO Box 21050, Washington, D.C. 20009 | Masthead | Privacy Policy | For corrections or concerns, please email [email protected]

I need your help.

Investigating Trump's henchmen is a full time job, and I'm trying to bring in new team members to do more exclusive reports. We have more stories coming you'll love. Join me and help restore the power of hard-hitting progressive journalism.

TAKE A LOOK
close-link

Investigating Trump is a full-time job, and I want to add new team members to do more exclusive reports. We have stories coming you'll love. Join me and go ad-free, while restoring the power of hard-hitting progressive journalism.

TAKE A LOOK
close-link