Quantcast
Connect with us

Trump lies about paying defense for sucker-punching supporter: ‘I didn’t say I was going to pay his fees’

Published

on

Donald Trump denied saying he would pay legal fees for a supporter who sucker-punched a black protester last week during a rally in North Carolina.

The Republican presidential candidate earlier this month told supporters in Michigan that he would “defend (them) in court” if they hurt protesters, and he said Sunday that he would consider paying defense costs for 78-year-old John McGraw — who was charged with disorderly conduct after he was caught on video punching a protester.

ADVERTISEMENT

“I’ve actually instructed my people to look into it,” Trump told NBC’s Chuck Todd.

Just two days later, Trump flatly denied saying anything like that in an interview with ABC’s “Good Morning America,” where host George Stephanopoulos asked whether he would send the message that he condones violence if he paid for McGraw’s legal defense.

“I don’t condone violence and I didn’t say I was going to pay for his fees,” Trump said Tuesday morning. “No, I didn’t say that. I haven’t looked at it yet, and nobody’s asked me to pay for fees and somebody asked me the question, and I haven’t even seen it. So I never said I was going to pay for fees, no.”

Stephanopoulos said he understood Trump had previously said only that he would look into paying for his supporter’s legal fees, and he asked again if his openness to assisting McGraw would essentially be rewarding violence.

“Well, maybe so, and maybe that’s why I wouldn’t do it — I don’t condone violence at all,” Trump said. “You know, I looked and I watched and I’m going to make a decision, but I certainly don’t condone violence and maybe you’re right, and maybe that’s why I wouldn’t do it.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Stephanopoulos asked whether he would tone down his rhetoric in the face of criticism that he incites violence against protesters at his rallies.

“Well, I don’t think I should be toning it down because, you know, I’ve had the biggest rallies of anybody probably ever, in terms of primaries, and there’s not even a contest, and we’ve had very, very little difficulty,” Trump said. “We closed down one in Chicago. Other than that, we’ve had very, very little difficulty, if you look at when you have 25,000 or even 35,000 people at these rallies — we’ve had very, very little difficulties.”

The reversal is reminiscent of when Trump tried to have it both ways just two weeks ago when a former Ku Klux Klan leader threw his support behind the GOP frontrunner.

ADVERTISEMENT

Trump refused to disavow white supremacist David Duke or the KKK in a Feb. 28 interview with CNN’s Jake Tapper, saying he would have to research the white supremacist groups before commenting on their support.

The following day, Trump blamed his wishy-washy reaction to a “very bad earpiece” that prevented him from understanding the question about Duke and the KKK.

ADVERTISEMENT

White nationalists were caught on video March 1 roughing up black protesters at a Trump rally in Louisville, Kentucky.

Watch the interview posted online by ABC News:


ABC Breaking News | Latest News Videos

ADVERTISEMENT


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Wells Fargo has already hit stimulus cap as small businesses worry loans are running out: report

Published

on

On Monday, the Washington Post reported that Wells Fargo, one of the nation's largest banks, is already cutting off new applications for the government's small-business stimulus relief program.

"Wells Fargo didn’t begin taking applications until Saturday and by Monday morning said it reached the $10 billion cap it had set for loans under the program," wrote Renae Merle. "Small businesses, which employ nearly half of the United States’ private-sector workers, say they are facing long waits and rejection as they scramble to secure loans through the fund, known as the Paycheck Protection Program. Many banks are accepting applications only from existing customers or businesses of a certain size."

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Trump calls Joe Biden to discuss how to manage coronavirus pandemic: report

Published

on

On Monday, NBC News' Mike Memoli reported that President Donald Trump called former Vice President Joe Biden — his likely general election rival in November — to discuss how to manage the coronavirus pandemic.

NEWS: @JoeBiden spoke today with @realDonaldTrump about the nation’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic, a source with knowledge of the call tells NBC News.

— Mike Memoli (@mikememoli) April 6, 2020

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

‘This president has muzzled science’: Doctor blasts Trump for ignorance over so-called ‘miracle drug’

Published

on

President Donald Trump refused to allow Dr. Anthony Fauci to answer what his opinion was about using hydroxychloroquine for coronavirus, something that hasn't been fully tested and has serious side effects. Dr. Kavita Patel explained that this is merely part of business as usual in the Trump White House.

"It couldn't be more obvious that this is an administration, this is a president that has stifled the press and in front of our very eyes muzzled science and I'm not sure -- I don't think we've even scratched the surface of understanding the depths of which this has happened, but you saw it play out on stage and unfortunately there are lives that are hanging in the balance," Dr. Patel said.

Continue Reading
 
 
You need honest news coverage. Help us deliver it. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free.
close-image