Nikki Haley raised eyebrows by denying rumors that she was angling to replace Vice President Mike Pence as Donald Trump’s running mate in 2020, and now there’s some new reporting on what’s behind that chatter.
The former United Nations ambassador and South Carolina governor tweeted out a denial of “false rumors” — which hadn’t seemed to have spread beyond the White House — that she wanted to join Trump on the ticket.
Enough of the false rumors. Vice President Pence has been a dear friend of mine for years. He has been a loyal and trustworthy VP to the President. He has my complete support. ❤️🇺🇸 pic.twitter.com/waPyQjC8Eb
— Nikki Haley (@NikkiHaley) August 21, 2019
Axios reporter Jonathan Swan told MSNBC’s “First Look” that the president’s daughter and son-in-law had discussed the possibility of replacing Pence with Haley, who instead has signed on as a “special guest” at a Trump-Pence fundraising retreat in the fall.
“It was somewhat of a relief to some people in the administration who’ve been very wary of her intentions,” Swan said, “and as ambassador Haley said herself, rumors have been circulating that she had designs on replacing Pence on the ticket.”
“Certainly, there have been a number of people telling people in the White House, including the president’s son-in-law Jared Kushner and daughter Ivanka Trump, that Nikki Haley would be a politically smart choice to replace Pence,” Swan added. “So this is partly why a lot of these rumors have been circulating.”
Trump threatens to post ‘60 Minutes’ video before CBS in panic over how how badly his interview went
On Tuesday, President Donald Trump tweeted that he is "considering" releasing footage from his "60 Minutes" interview with Lesley Stahl ahead of its broadcast time, "for the sake of accuracy in reporting."
I am pleased to inform you that, for the sake of accuracy in reporting, I am considering posting my interview with Lesley Stahl of 60 Minutes, PRIOR TO AIRTIME! This will be done so that everybody can get a glimpse of what a FAKE and BIASED interview is all about...
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 20, 2020
‘Trump is too stupid to realize he may get to his most feared number on COVID-19 deaths’: Keith Olbermann
Host and progressive paragon Keith Olbermann has been issuing "worst person in the world" videos in which he makes a new case each week that President Donald Trump is the worst person and why.
He began by citing that COVID-19 is continuing to surge, with the astounding number of just over a 30 percent increase in the past two weeks. In Texas, hospitalizations are up 35 percent in as many weeks. Even the first lady can't get over her symptoms of the virus
"We could be just a month -- perhaps just days -- away from the exact same nightmarish, healthcare scenes and draconian closures and even lockdowns that snuck up on the proactively stupid, the psychotically self-absorbed, and the criminally negligent murders -- you know, on Donald Trump," he explained.
Federal judge blasts Betsy DeVos for sabotaging student loan relief she previously agreed to
On Tuesday, Politico reported that a federal judge in California has voided a settlement between the Department of Education and student loan borrowers, accusing Secretary Betsy DeVos of sabotaging the agreement by denying thousands of claims without legitimate cause.
"The class-action settlement, which was reached earlier this year and received preliminary approval from the court, was meant to force the Education Department to move faster on final decisions for roughly 160,000 of the backlogged requests for loan forgiveness, known as 'borrower defense' claims. Some of the claims have languished at the department for years," reported Michael Stratford.