Top Stories Daily Listen Now
RawStory

U.S. News

What happened in Michigan this week was no mistake: Infrastructure was privatized for profit -- and it's crumbling

President Trump spent another week feuding with a Democratic governor, this time as Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer dealt with historic levels of rainfall which led to the collapse of a pair of privately-owned dams in the state. Instead of momentarily pausing his politics of petty revenge, Trump made matters worse, as is his wont.The president diverted already strained resources for a campaign stop in Michigan that doubled as a political stunt, advertising his personal refusal to wear a mask, even in settings where everyone else is required to. Trump's antagonistic rhetoric towards a state that is facing multiple life-or-death crises at the same time was widely criticized. But what he did more quietly did this week reveals just how vulnerable his deregulatory actions have left America.

In a move strikingly reminiscent of the Ukraine scandal, Trump took to Twitter on Wednesday to threaten to withhold federal funding from Michigan, even as floodwaters from the two breached dams forced thousands of residents of the city of Midland to flee their homes. Trump apparent goal was to coerce Michigan officials not to send vote-by-mail applications to the state's 7.7 million registered voters vote-by-mail. As usual, the president was unclear about exactly what funding he had in mind. Hours later he sent another tweet claiming that his administration had already activated military and Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) response teams but said Gov. Whitmer "must now 'set you free' to help." Whitmer said at a news briefing on Tuesday that she had already contacted federal officials for help and activated the National Guard. Once again, nobody really knows what Trump was talking about.

Keep reading... Show less

BUSTED: Nike turned away a public health inspector days after a worker with COVID-19 died

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — The security guard said no. It didn’t matter that the visitor was from the Shelby County Health Department.

Keep reading... Show less

In Atlanta, Pence calls Georgia's reopening an 'example to the nation'

ATLANTA — Vice President Mike Pence on Friday praised Gov. Brian Kemp and Georgia restaurant owners who have reopened their establishments in recent weeks, lending a high-level of support to state leaders who have been criticized for ending pandemic restrictions too soon.Pence said Georgia is setting “an example to the nation” by being among the first and most aggressive to restart its economy while staying mindful of public health guidelines.“In a very real sense, I think history will record that Georgia helped lead the way back to a prosperous American economy,” Pence told reporters after a ...

Keep reading... Show less

US Army plans massive recruiting drive for summer

As nationwide unemployment figures reach record highs, the Army is offering career-seekers an opportunity to be all they can be.The U.S. Army plans to launch a major recruiting drive between June 30 and July 2. The initiative, called Army National Hiring Days, was reportedly pitched to the Army’s service secretary and chief of staff earlier this month. It will begin shortly after the storied military branch celebrates its 245th birthday on June 14.According to the Army Times, the push to beef up the number of soldiers in uniform follows a springtime of low recruitment, brought about by the cor...

Keep reading... Show less

'Real Lord of the Flies' shipwreck to become Hollywood movie

Los Angeles (AFP) - The remarkable story of six boys stranded on a remote island that has been dubbed the "Real Lord of the Flies" is to become a Hollywood movie, it was announced Friday.Dutch historian Rutger Bregman pieced together the true tale of how a group of Tongan teenagers ended up shipwrecked together in the Pacific for 15 months, after stealing a fisherman's boat in the 1960s.A newspaper article Bregman penned to promote his book "Humankind" went viral two weeks ago, sparking a fierce bidding war among Tinseltown studios."The Real Lord of the Flies will become a movie!! The last two...

Keep reading... Show less

Trump administration withdraws approval for homeless shelters across California

SACRAMENTO, Calif. — The Trump administration has yanked approval for major homeless shelter projects it previously approved in Sacramento and San Francisco.The move undermines a critical component of Gov. Gavin Newsom’s plan to shelter the homeless on state land and throws nearly two dozen potential shelter projects across the state into question, according to letters the Federal Highway Administration sent the California Department of Transportation earlier this month.Sacramento Mayor Darrell Steinberg said the city must find a way to still open a 100-bed shelter near X Street and Alhambra B...

Keep reading... Show less

Does working at home for coronavirus change how my out-of-state job is taxed?

Q. I live in N.J. and I work for a company based in New York City. My office closed because of the coronavirus and now I work at home. How does this impact the reporting of my 2020 taxes for N.J. and N.Y.? Is the income earned while working remotely from my home considered as earned only in New Jersey and is it taxed as such, or is my total pay considered New York income?— EmployedA. Yours is a great question and the implications could affect so many people during the shutdown.Under Section 132.18(a) of the New York tax code, any employee who works in New York but lives out-of-statemust pay Ne...

Keep reading... Show less

Devin Nunes' lawyer is warned as judge moves CNN lawsuit to NY

WASHINGTON — A Virginia judge on Friday moved Rep. Devin Nunes’ lawsuit against CNN to New York and wrote that there was no “logical connection” for the California congressman to sue the media company in Virginia.The lawsuit is one of seven defamation cases Nunes and attorney Steven Biss filed since 2019 against news organizations, Twitter, his critics and the investigative research firm that created the so-called Steele dossier. Nunes, R-Calif., had filed all but two of the lawsuits in Virginia courts.Judge Robert E. Payne, of the U.S. District Court in the Eastern District of Virginia, grant...

Keep reading... Show less

DOJ declares its support of lawsuit challenging Illinois Gov. Pritzker's stay-at-home order

CHICAGO — The Department of Justice intervened Friday in support of a challenge to Illinois’ stay-at-home coronavirus order, calling for the case to be transferred back to state court.The U.S. attorney general’s office filed a statement of interest in the case of downstate Republican state Rep. Darren Bailey, writing, “Plaintiff has set forth a strong case that the Orders exceed the authority granted to the Governor by the Illinois legislature.”Bailey had won an initial ruling last month to be freed from Gov. J.B. Pritzker’s executive order shutting down most businesses and churches and requir...

Keep reading... Show less

Trump discussed holding first nuclear test in decades: report

President Donald Trump's administration has discussed holding the first US nuclear test since 1992 as a potential warning to Russia and China, the Washington Post reported Friday.

Keep reading... Show less

Virus-hit Hertz declares bankruptcy in US and Canada

Washington (AFP) - Global car rental company Hertz became the latest economic casualty of the coronavirus pandemic Friday, filing for bankruptcy in the US and Canada after more than a century in business."The impact of COVID-19 on travel demand was sudden and dramatic, causing an abrupt decline in the Company's revenue and future bookings," Hertz said in a press release.Hertz said it took "immediate action" to prioritize the health and safety of employees and customers and eliminate "all non-essential spending"."However, uncertainty remains as to when revenue will return and when the used-car ...

Keep reading... Show less

NY to allow gatherings of up to 10 people after lawsuit challenges Cuomo's order

ALBANY, N.Y. — Gatherings of up to 10 people will now be allowed in New York after a lawsuit challenged a directive from Gov. Andrew Cuomo that only gave the green light to Memorial Day celebrations and religious services.The change came Friday evening after the New York Civil Liberties Union sued the governor on behalf of a Brooklyn woman arrested twice outside City Hall for protesting the statewide coronavirus shutdown.The group argued that Cuomo’s initial order signed a day earlier infringed on New Yorkers’ First Amendment rights by allowing certain gatherings but limiting protests and demo...

Keep reading... Show less

Stephen Colbert, Bret Michaels, Rachel Maddow surprise NJ grads with tribute

Students from Montclair State University’sSchool of Communication and Media had their in-person graduation ceremony postponed in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic.Fortunately, an hour-long virtual celebration on Thursday was spiced up with cameos from Stephen Colbert, Bret Michaelsand Rachel Maddow.All three sent video messages to the graduates during the Montclair State University School of Communication and Media Class of 2020 Celebration, offering words of encouragement during uncertain times as the students enter the next phase of their lives.Colbert, the host of CBS’ “The Late Show wi...

Keep reading... Show less